Getting best out of Crucial SSD

Jem 14:27 09 Jan 2011

As part of re-building my 5y old PC after a sudden motherboard failure I decided to buy a Crucial 64GB C300 SATA3 SSD to use for the Operating System. The m/b is an Asus P6X58D which has 2 SATA3 sockets (i.e. 6Gbit speed). The OS in Win 7 Home Premium.

However although the installation has gone fine, I do not believe the SSD is really working at the kind of speeds it should be capable of - I think because Win 7 has not recognised it as an SSD. I have researched this a bit and find quite a lot of posts about problems with the Marvell drivers that come with the m/b and suggestions to replace them with Intel ones.

My question is: Can I safely attempt to reconfigure how my SSD operates given that it now has my OS (and a variety of ther software) on it? I do want to get the full benefits of an SSD but couldn't face the task of completely reloading everything if that were to be necessary in reconfiguring its drivers etc.

If anyone else has experience with this SSD I would welcome advice.

User-312386 15:05 09 Jan 2011

This will keep you busy click here

robin_x 17:31 09 Jan 2011

Presumably you have done lots of work installing motherboard, SSD, OS, drivers and some apps.

Now maybe a good time to make a System Image if you want to do some advanced tinkering and are worried about having to start again.
Use your old HDD or an ext HDD for any image.

Acronis or a free image/backup program will do.
eg EASEUS Todo or Paragon. Make a boot CD/DVD and you can tinker to your hearts content.

robin_x 17:31 09 Jan 2011
  Jem 19:31 09 Jan 2011

Thanks for this advice. The link from madboy33 provides plenty to think about. And "yes" I do have and use Acronis True Image.

If I look in Device Manager the SSD is described as "C300-CTF DDAC064MAG SCSI Disk Device" and in the "Hardware IDs" the Firmware Value is "SCSI\DiskC300-CTFDDAC064MAG______0002". I think this means that I do have the option of updating the Firmware although I will not rush into this.

I don't think it's using AHCI which is (according to some) important to get the full value but when I tried changing the BIOS to this Windows 7 could not start up. I think I've found a possible explanation for this on a Microsoft support site (click here) but will agian pause in case there are others with experience of this drive before trying this out.

Thanks again fro responding so quickly.

User-312386 19:47 09 Jan 2011

Most SSD manuals advise to change to AHCI prior to instalation, i would run the microsoft fix and then go into bios and change it, however, this may not work and you could be blue screened or non start! If the fix does not work, i am sorry to say you will have to do a clean install, however it should not take that long with the SSD. It took me about 15 mins then load all the drivers, which i put on my slave drive.

User-312386 19:48 09 Jan 2011

Forgot to say, ensure AHCI is enabled and saved in the bios, prior to reinstall

Jem 21:32 09 Jan 2011

Windows 7 won't take long to reinstall - it's all the other programs! It's taken me 2 days to do those (although, admittedly a lot of the problem was that I had to manipulate Photoshop catalogs, Itunes libraries, etc. as the rebuilt PC had a different set of drives.

Any way thanks again for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone