get into safe mode avoiding MESH recovery tool

rickd 18:47 23 Jun 2008

XP is booting as far as the desktop then freezes although the HD is still flashing every few seconds, and the mouse is still moving but it doesn't load any icons, tray, start menu etc, i.e I can't access anything -. If I try booting and F10 it goes to the MESH recovery tool. I've tried the various options but these have not fixed it. I'm trying to get into Safe Mode to try a restore from there, but F10 just brings up the MESH tool, and F8 just brings up boot source options.
How can I force safe mode or get to windows system restore or the recovery console?
I have the MESH OEM XP disc - but so far i've got to the choice of reinstalling Windows without the option of recovery

Zak 18:51 23 Jun 2008

Use F8 for safe mode

rickd 18:59 23 Jun 2008

F8 just brings up the options to either boot from the HD or from CD. No option to get into safe mode that I can see.

rickd 19:04 23 Jun 2008

using the disc I get the option to install windows onto the C:drive - no mention of recovery/repair. If i choose this option, will it then give the option to repair first, or will it go straight ahead and format the drive and reinstall windows (should I push the button??). I'd prefer all recovery/repair options first.

Zak 19:17 23 Jun 2008

Boot up and try waiting until F10 appears in the post screen, then press F8 repeatedly

grey george 19:26 23 Jun 2008

Try esc. rather than f8

Ditch999 19:36 23 Jun 2008

System Restore from Recovery Console click here

Poitier 20:47 23 Jun 2008

As Zak says wait until F10 appears before pressing F8,pressing it earlier will just bring up the popup(see post screen,press F8 for popup)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 23 Jun 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

rickd 21:17 23 Jun 2008

waiting 'til after the F10 prompt and hitting F8 just seems to do nothing except stop it trying to boot further. Esc ditto.
I don't get to a recovery console option using a disk, just the option to install windows (although maybe the option to repair comes later, but I don't want to go to install, in case it doesn't give me a repair option and just goes ahead and wipes the drive.
Can't believe MESH have written something that prevent me getting to safe mode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:35 23 Jun 2008

Read my instructions Above.

Press ENTER to install windows
accept the license agreement

then it finds you installation and offers you the choice to repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?