Get rid of MCE?

splatter 23:50 26 Oct 2006

Hi guys, first of all hows is everybody? I haven't been around for a while as I have been mad busy with a new job?

Anyway, I'm looking at getting' a laptop tomorrow. Nothing fantastic or anything, but most of the ones I'm looking at (online) come with Windows MCE (Media Center Edition), question is "Can I just install XP over it?" and if I can, then can I expect any significant performance decreases/increases?

Thanks chaps,
Jay

sean-278262 03:07 27 Oct 2006

Should be very little difference bar the MCE versions extras. Is there a reason you dont want MCE? You sound like you dont want it for a reason but if it is bundled with a laptop it is usually for a specific reason. You can of course overload it with a fresh XP install, but before you do see if you can live with MCE and if the extras it offers are of any use to you. You can always restore the computer back with just plain XP.

splatter 08:32 27 Oct 2006

To be honest, the reason I didn't want MCE was that from all the screen shots of it I had seen of it was a shot of the "Media Center" application...and in my tiny mind I though that that was all it was.

Now I've actually done some real research however and I find out that its only a ever so slightly "watered down" version of XP :)

So, with all that in mind, I am now off to go laptop shopping :)

Ciao for now,
Jay

johnnyrocker 09:57 27 Oct 2006

a tick by way of resolution would be good.

johnny.

splatter 11:19 27 Oct 2006

Always forget that, sorry...and NOW I'm off shopping :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?