Get rid of Dr Watson

Hetti 17:11 14 Nov 2007

Im getting error messages saying Dr Watson postmortem debugger has encountered a problem, and needs to close, then my PC freezes. This has happened three days running now.

Any Ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 14 Nov 2007

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

Hetti 17:31 14 Nov 2007

Fruit Bat

I have Comodo antivirus and Comodo Firewall, spywareblaster win defender and a programme called Advanced System organiser (free on PC Advisor mag) so what I want to ask you please is do I still need any or all of your suggested programmes?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 14 Nov 2007

do I still need any or all of your suggested

No
just do the scans and the cleaning CCleaner will clean both files and registry so that may be all you need unless Advance system organiser will clean for you.

You may have spyware or a virus causing the problem you need to eliminate these possibilites before proceeding further.

Karakorum 18:04 14 Nov 2007

You can close the Dr Watson debugger using Task Manager under "Processes", but you'll probably need to close another as well called something like "Dumprep". (Something with 'dump' in it anyway.) That should unfreeze it so you can carry on. Not a solution but a workaround.

Hetti 18:22 14 Nov 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat

Im doing all scans right now (I do run them often)I do hope it sorts it. I will leave post open until I know if it is OK.

Karakorum Thanks
I will note your suggestion incase I do need it.

Thanks

woodchip 18:32 14 Nov 2007

Is there for a purpose, to debug Programing Error's

You need to look else where for why it's doing it. It sounds like a bad driver, or faulty memory

Karakorum 18:51 14 Nov 2007

I'm not suggesting it's put there to annoy us - just that it often appears that way. :-)

woodchip 18:58 14 Nov 2007

Can you remember when it started to do it? and if you made any changes before it started doing it. You could also run System Restore to before the Problem

Hetti 20:23 14 Nov 2007

woodchip

I cant remember when it started but I had tried a new software antivirus scanner and had a number of software probs so I went back to Comodo, I run all scans they only found 2 small and one medium risk items which I deleted. I just started PC up 5 mins ago, to see if i got any more probs, no Dr Watson up to now , but an alarm started going off (sounds like a car alarm) will that be related?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 14 Nov 2007

possible you have something starting to overheat,

check all fans are running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?