Get computer config of a computer

Lap FungLee 11:35 06 May 2015

Hi Forum,

I need to troubleshoot my super non tech savvy friends' computer from time to time. I am thinking if there is an easiest way to get their computer configurations. Some of them don't even know how to take a screenshot. The ideal solution I am looking for is I send him an exe, he runs it, then I get an email of his computer's CPU, amount of RAM, total hard disk size and used hard disk size. I know how to use CPU-Z. But I think it's too many step for them to save a txt and attach to a mail and send to me. It's too much for them. And CPU-Z doesn't has the hard disk info I want.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jollyjohn 11:57 06 May 2015

Use Teamviewer - then you can log into his PC and work on it getting whatever info you need, also your friend can show you what issues he is having and you can see what is happening.

Gordon Freeman 12:01 06 May 2015

Would Belarc do the job? click here

Lap FungLee 06:36 07 May 2015

Hi Jollyjohn, thanks for your suggestion. But I want it to be done asynchronously.

Hi Gordon, thanks for you suggestion. I think I have used Belarc about 12 years ago. So surprising that it's still rocking! To my case, I still think it's too many steps for my friend to use, install > run > manually attach the resulting html to mail to me.

I want something that is more "one click", more lightweight. Run it, it minimizes and gets the data I need, it sends a mail with data to me, notifies the user all done. That's it. No installation, no extra approval etc.

Any other ideas? Again, thanks so much for your inputs!

Batch 08:41 07 May 2015

Have a look at Speccy (from Piriform, the Ccleaner guys).

click here

Secret-Squirrel 09:04 07 May 2015

"I want something that is more "one click.....Run it, it minimizes and gets the data I need, it sends a mail with data to me, notifies the user all done. That's it. No installation..............""

What you want doesn't exist.

Can I ask why you think that TeamViewer isn't suitable? I use it all the time for remote support and it's very effective and requires just "one click" from the user to initiate the remote control session. The TeamViewer "Quick Support" module doesn't even require installation.

If you're adamant that you don't want to use TeamViewer then phone your friend and talk him through it, or, wait till you next visit him and get the info yourself.

Also, how exactly do you intend to support your friend when you get the details you require?

Lap FungLee 09:13 07 May 2015

Hi Squirrel, great points! I think I was thinking in a wrong direction. Thanks!

Secret-Squirrel 09:31 07 May 2015

Lap, here's the TeamViewer download page. You will require the "TeamViewer full version" and you can email the direct link to the "TeamViewer QuickSupport" version to your friend. When he executes the file, he simply tells you his Partner ID and password. When you get connected you could place a TeamViewer icon on his Desktop to make it easier for him in the future.

By default, the TeamViewer password changes each time so it's very secure.

You can obviously experiment a bit beforehand to see how it works.

Batch 12:48 07 May 2015

I know this is a bit out of kilter, but when I read something like "But I think it's too many step for them to save a txt and attach to a mail and send to me" it makes me wonder whether these people are competent enough to use a computer at all?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?