Gericom 19in flat panel monitor from Aldi

techpro 11:19 02 Sep 2004

Just bought one of the 19in flat panel displays on sale today in Aldi for £299. It's excellent, with one small disappointment. If I try to use the maximum resolution 1280 x 1024 the picture is letterboxed like a wide screen film viewed on a normal TV. There is no manual adjustment for vertical height. I was wondering whether anyone else has bought one of these today and found the same problem?

With my old CRT monitor I couldn't even fill the screen at 1152 x 864, so it's still an improvement.

GibsonSt19 12:57 02 Sep 2004

I was just about to leave the house to get one.

Anyone know whether this issue can be corrected?

Stuartli 13:32 02 Sep 2004

The monitor appears to be the Gericom 19" EZM19 LCD Monitor (click here for specs), normally listed at £330.

You could contact the support or customer services via:

click here

It could be that it is intended for viewing widescreen DVDs - or it just might be faulty..:-)

E7 13:46 02 Sep 2004

Sorry if you’ve thought of this, but does your video card fully support that resolution / refresh rate?

techpro 14:07 02 Sep 2004

That's the one. I'll try an email to their monitorsupport address.

Of course, the video card will do 1280 x 1024, even my 6 year old Dell could do that. The PC I'm using is a new Acer F1 and it claims to do higher resolutions even than that.

GibsonSt19 15:48 02 Sep 2004

Plugged it in, all fine at highest res.

I'm running a 9800 pro though, so I would expect it.

Still, it's gonna take me ages to get used to this TFT, I'm so used to a sharperthan day CRT of the same size!

Ah well, saves about 2ft of room space!

E7 21:12 02 Sep 2004

...Of course, the video card will do 1280 x 1024, even my 6 year old Dell could do that....

Well OF COURSE it will, how silly of me. You see it's just that you didn't say that and I wasn't to know. I'm sorry, I'm just trying to help.

zincy 01:19 03 Sep 2004

wow so u guys would recommend it?
seems a very good deal!
but i guess they sell out real quick :(

kev.Ifty 08:27 03 Sep 2004

Being seen to be rude or short with people who are attempting to help and give their time and
advice freely will get you nowhere fast on this forum....

Just a thought :-)

Cheers Kev

techpro 08:45 03 Sep 2004

It's certainly a good deal. I haven't found a 19in display advertised at anything like that price. It isn't the sharpest display I've seen but it's satisfactory for me at the resolution I'm using it at (1152 x 864). There is just one dud pixel I can see which only shows up against the plain background - if you used bitmap wallpaper you probably wouldn't even notice it.
When I get a chance, I will try it on the old computer so see if it will properly display 1280 x 1024 on that. I don't know how you could tell in advance whether it will be OK with a particular computer or not. It might be as well to determine in advance Aldi's policy on taking it back.
I haven't had a response from Gericom's monitor support email address as yet...

E7 19:34 03 Sep 2004

... but I was expecting it from "someone else"! Still, you've restored my faith in the forum.

Cheers,
Pat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?