Generic Host process for Win32 Services

anchor 19:22 28 Oct 2003

I recently installed Win-XP Pro, after a complete reformat of my hard drive. I have had to re-install all my programmes, including Zone Alarm Pro.

I am getting a request from Zone Alarm asking if I will allow "Generic Host process for Win32 Services" to access the internet. Not knowing what this is, I am wary.

Should I allow this access, or not?.

Gongoozler 19:30 28 Oct 2003

Hi anchor. This is a case of deja-vu.

click here

click here

click here

spikeychris 19:40 28 Oct 2003

As well as the post from Gongoozler. svchost.exe has had a bad press lately with Blaster but svchost.exe is also used to "host" certain services in Windows that
run from dll's.

rambus 19:42 28 Oct 2003

anchor, hope this helps to put your mind at rest,i also installed xp home after reformating my harddrive. like you i also installed zonealarm and noticed that "generic host process for win 32" was requesting access to the internet. if i did not allow access, i could not get on the net. so i allowed access and like you came to this forum because i was worried also.
i recieved three replys to my request for information(my apoligies to the three who tried to help)none of which could give me an answer.
i have since found out by trawling the net that "generic host" is part of the xp setup without which you cannot connect to the internet.
so tell zonealarm to allow acess and it wont bother you again. i am no computer expert but hope this helps to put your mind at ease. hope you enjoy xp, i did not like it at first, loved 98, but must say that as i become more familar with xp its starting to grow on me.
rambus

anchor 20:14 28 Oct 2003

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that there is no harm in letting this access go ahead.

rambus: like you, I was not too keen on XP at first, having used ME since it came out in June 2000. I am slowly getting used to XP, though miss some of the ME features.

spuds 20:47 28 Oct 2003

Similar answer as rambus.Click Yes.

Jester2K II 20:56 28 Oct 2003

I've always blocked it with no ill effect...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017