Generic Host Process for Win32 problem

chrissomerville 21:12 14 Aug 2006

I am hoping for some help with the following:
I work on a laptop with WindowsXP (home) as my O.S. My conection with the Internet is dial-up.

At least once in every session, always when online up to now, I get the following message:
"Generic Host Process for win32 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

When I acknowledge this I am left unable to connect with email servers or with internet sites. I am also unable to disconnect my dial-up connection - the port remains in use.

The only way I get out of this is to reboot the computer, when all is OK until I get the error message again.

Can anyone help Please?

Jak_1 01:25 15 Aug 2006

Have you tried using System restore to a point before the problem started. However, this sounds like a trojan.

What antivirus are you using? Do you use a firewall?

Suggest you first try system restore to see if that cures the problem. Then do a full av scan in safe mode with system restore dissabled.

Also do antispyware scans.

chrissomerville 22:54 15 Aug 2006

Thanks Jak_1 - I do regularly use Spybot and Adaware - and am protected by NOD32 antivirus.
Actually I seem to have cracked the problem - which turns out to be a Microsoft nasty to persuade me to download the update in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-040 (Vulnerability in Server Service could allow Remote Control Execution {921883})
So anyone suffering the same problem try following the instructions in the above security bulletin - it has apparently worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?