General system slowdown

TimCDC 09:54 14 Feb 2005

I have a 20 month old system running XP SP2, which is generally much slower than when I got it. In particular I've noticed that Word and Outlook Express (the latter in particular) are very much slower starting up.

I'd very much rather not have to uninstall and reinstall everything, but am wondering if there are options that might ease things without going that far. I've checked there's no spyware slowing things down, and have also run Defrag. I used Regscrub XP to have a go at clearing the registry (are there other free tools that might pick up things it didn't?) Have also cleared out the Startup folders, and run msconfig to stop unnecessary things loading on startup. Any other approaches woudl be very gratefully received.

LeadingMNMs 10:01 14 Feb 2005

Theres not much left for you to do, although you could uninstall any programs that you don't use and then defrag and clean the registry again. Its usually a good idea to re-install everything every year or two (in my opinion) though it can be a pain, especially with the backing up of all your files and having to re-find the free software you downloaded a year ago.

ashdav 10:23 14 Feb 2005

how much memory have you got? I found my computer speeded up when I increased from 256Mb to 512Mb.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:25 14 Feb 2005

click here download and use. You could also try regseeker which I prefer to regscrub ....click here I would also use the new MS antispy if you have not already done so.click here

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:26 14 Feb 2005

...and I would whack in as much memory as your MB can take.

G

TimCDC 11:02 14 Feb 2005

Its good to hear that I have done roughly what I should have done - although I will go out and try the programs that Gandalf recommends. Not sure how much memory I have, will check when I get home tonight (oops, posting from work!) but had wondered about increasing it, so may investigate now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?