General Protection Faults when starting Windows

robit 20:08 23 Nov 2003

I seem to have another problem recently but it is getting more frequent now. When starting 98se and just as the icons start to appear in the system tray ie: the speaker, ontrack antivirus, zone alarm, I get general protection faults come up on the screen (one by one) which corisponds with what is running in the 'close program' box when you use ctrl,alt.del. I then have to close each one in turn and sometimes the system locks up and have to use the power button to do a restart. Could it be a memory problem (256ddr installed). Ontrack antivirus has been on there a long time with no problems. The only recent changes have been to install 'ZoneAlarm'

In the 'close program' window is Explorer, ZoneAlarm, Mxtask, Point32, Stimon, Systray, Type32.

hector 911 20:24 23 Nov 2003

It could be conflicts with zonealarm why don`t you go into msconfig and untick zonealarm & restart pc and see if it runs ok.

robit 20:42 23 Nov 2003

hector911

Yes, I'll try that over the next few days but I will have to start 'ZoneAlarm' manually after everything has loaded.

hector 911 21:24 23 Nov 2003

general protection faults can be software or drivers conflicts, you say this occurred after zone alarm, zone alarm can use up a lot of resources, why don`t you download again and reinstall after removing previous ZA.

or try a different firewall - Outpost has good reviews

robit 19:44 24 Nov 2003

hector911

Previous to using ZoneAlarm I was using 'Preventon Firewall" but because it ran in stealth mode only it didn't like NTL Broadband which according to ntlhell.com that can cause a problem which it certainly did. I will have a look at Outpost, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?