General PC Issues - novice user

Michéal 00:55 05 Apr 2004

I have recently bought a secondhand computer running on Windows 98-SE, and despite getting all the latest updates from the Microsoft Website, it was fine up to a few weeks ago - I have not got a clue about computers and some of the things that did happen was the sound card stopped working, then the floppy drive stopped working - I followed all the advice in Windows help butnow it's doing some very strange things indeed - I was womdering if there was any web sites out there that could get into, interrogate my system and could check, detect and reset any incorrectly applied settings, its a Q-Tech Machine - I've had to re-install Windows 98-SE at least 10 times I have 3 configuration settings at startup, the Floppy Drive does not work and there is still no sound - After being on the internet one night, A dial up connection in addition to my normal one with an 0906 access number appeared and I tried to remove both it and the previous installation of AOL which I do not want as they are not my ISP noris freeserve - help

hugh-265156 01:03 05 Apr 2004

you may have a virus or some other nasty on your system like a dialer.

do you have any antivirus software installed?

if so update it and run a full system scan.remove anything it finds.

if you dont have any AV software get this free one click here dont forget to update it after install,then run a full scan.

next get spybot search and destroy and adaware click here click here both free also.these will remove spyware and dialers etc.update them after install and run a scan with both and remove anything they find.

if you are still having problems post back.

Diodorus Siculus 08:10 05 Apr 2004

What sort of reinstall of Windows did you do? A clean install (formatting the hard disk first) might be best; then get any updates necessary. MS supplies these on CD now - click here
free of charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone