Geforce4 MX 440

ellese 00:14 26 Apr 2003

Can anyone shed anymore light on the geforce4 mx 440 graphics card as i have it installed on my machine on a gigabyte motherboard with windows xp pro. Is it a top end card or more for the mainstream user as i feel games such as MOH and GTAIII are not quite running as smoothly as i would have liked, dont get me wrong they still look good but GTAIII looks kind of dark at times and it jumps.

Sion 00:57 26 Apr 2003

The GeForce MX 440 is more of a mainstream card, which may explain your low frame-rates. For sheer gaming power you will need an Nvidia chip with an Nfinite FX engine, anything from the Geforce 3 or 4 Ti range.

Although, how fast is your CPU? Games like MOH:AA and GTA 3 usually need at least a 1Ghz CPU to run properly.

GTA 3 is also one of the most bugged game ever released. People have played it on 2Ghz CPU's and still had stuttery gameplay.

mcullum_DX4Life 01:36 26 Apr 2003

On GTA3 turn on frame limiter and it will prevent the stuttering. TBH though, you should really invest in a GeForce3/4ti as they have full direcx8 supports (such as pixel shaders etc). Of course, the Radeon 8500 upwards is also a good choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?