Geforce2 MX 400 Instal Problem

taffyoz 11:54 06 Mar 2007

I have an oldish machine running XP. The motherboard is PCChips M810L Vers 7.1a with SIS 730s chipset. The manual says this AGP card has been tested and should be compatible. Because this board has onboard graphics I thought I might try adding a graphics card to see what if any difference it would make. The card is new (but very cheap).I cannot at the moment instal it. I have disabled the current device and uninstalled the driver using Hardware Device but when I put in the new card and start up In see the found new hardware message but the macine then closes down and reboots. Starting in safe mode enables me to instal the card and driver but on rebooting the card does not work. Any suggestions please?

crosstrainer 15:52 06 Mar 2007

You will need to disable your onboard graphics from the BIOS...usually reached by pressing the DEL key or F2 on boot up.....make sure you have the new card installed before you do this or you won't see anything!

Strawballs 00:46 08 Mar 2007

Depending on how old the machine is some had a jumper on the MoBo to dissable onboard graphics I had a Packard Bell with this on and unless you have the manual you will need a maginifying glass.

taffyoz 09:12 08 Mar 2007

Thanks for your responses.The BIOS has no facility for disabling onboard graphics and the PC Chips website says it should automatically disable when a card is put in the AGP slot.I have gone to the ssource and emailed the PC Chips technical people. We'll see if they know!

radi8or 18:56 08 Mar 2007

taffyoz,

What is the voltage of your AGP slot on the mobo,
and of your graphics card, some older machines/cards operated at 3.3v.

taffyoz 16:47 09 Mar 2007

radi8or

Unfortunately the docs I have for the card do not show an operating voltage nor does the manual for the motherboard give a voltage for the slot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?