Geforce 8600M GT Graphics Card

evolucions 12:36 10 May 2008

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop and I am looking to get a new graphics card for it and after hours of searching i have found that the Geforce 8600M GT should be a good upgrade for it.

However my problem is i cannot find where to buy one from. anyone got any good suggestions and is this really a good one for my PC.

citadel 15:41 10 May 2008

you can not upgrade a laptop graphics card. there were a few very expensive laptops that were graphics upgradable. low ability cards are often used in laptops to keep the price down.

crosstrainer 16:31 10 May 2008

As citadel say's...not upgradable, often onboard anyway. Gaming laptops do not come cheap. Your best bet is a PC i'm afraid.

towns 18:18 27 May 2008

I thin kyou guys should actually look into things before making such a sweeping judgement without any info to back it up. It IS actually possible to upgrade a Dell Inspiron laptop aslong as the laptop has a discrete graphics card module (not th eIntel X3100) - you can then upgrade to the GeForce 8600M GT. The downside is its for sale only in the US at the moment (downside if you live in the UK) - click here.
To add this is very easy if you have experience of upgrading PC's/laptops etc - remove all screws holding laptop together, remove the old GeForce card, slot the new one in, screw it all back together and you are away.
From what I have read you cant install any old MXM graphics card - it does have to be specific and Dell do sell these - infact its cheaper to buy an 8600m GT than an 8400M GS!

Towns

TunerSR 19:47 20 Mar 2009

is it possible to fit a 9series into the 1520?

citadel 20:59 20 Mar 2009

I would not fancy taking a laptop to pieces, I asume fitting a more powerful card would mean more heat and more power required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017