GeForce 6600 GT

funky_demon 15:39 31 Mar 2005

I have the following spec PC.

Athlon XP3200 Processor

ASUS A7V880

DDR400 Ram

Can i use the GeForce 6600GT Graphics card with this set up?

The motherborad isnt PCI Express, but on reviews it saya AGPx8 / PCI Express

Does this mean it can be plugged into normal AGP slots?

Also it mentions about that it is designed to be used with the new GDDR3 memory

Can i still use it with my RAM

Your help is appreciated!

rubella 15:52 31 Mar 2005

The 6600GT comes in two flavours PCI Express and AGP. You’ll need the AGP one for your board.

NinkyRudes 16:46 31 Mar 2005

You will have absolutely no issues using the AGP version of this card with your system.

'GT' badging indicates a supercharged version of a chipset, followed by 'Ultra' for the nitrous-powered version. 'LE' is nVidia's coding for a little bit slower, but a LOT cheaper.

However, for not much more money you can have the 6800LE, the cut-down version of nVidia's flagship graphics chipset (6200 is entry-level, 6600 is mid-range, 6800 top-end). The 6600GT is blistering for the money (<£130), but a few more pennies will give your modern apps/games the latest graphics options, and run them a little faster too.

Having said that, I run a 6600GT (AGP) in one of my systems, and a 6800GT (AGP) in the other, and, at this time, the framerate difference is there, but it's beyond what the human eye can detect (i.e. anything over about 30-35 fps).

It's a good card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?