GeForce 6200 will not work - monitor is blank.

meddyuk 11:07 24 Oct 2009

Hiya Guys and Girls!

Please help before i tear my hair out!

I recently bought a GeForce 6200 256MB TV-Out/DVI 8xAGP - OEM for my PC. Upon reading the instructions to the tee, the VDU is just blank and does not receive a signal from the graphics card.

I currently run a IMEDIA 1401 PB13108601. The MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-8SIMLNF7 running a Celeron D 330 2.66Mhz processor. The AGP bus is SiS651 8x running integrated 64MB graphics with no actual video card. I currently have 512MB of RAM.

I have been into the BIOS to ensure that the AGP port is there and selected. I have also knocked up my graphics ram from 128MB to 256MB.

I went into add/remove programs to delete the existing drivers, but none showed up. I then went into Device Manager and noticed the SIS Monitor drivers which i uninstalled.

I have slotted the card correctly into the AGP port and ensured that the white clip is fully engaged. But when i boot the PC up the monitor does not come on.

I'm getting really frustrated. I only want the card to watch dvds, play really old games and carry out some Camcorder to disk burning.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance

Meddy.

xania 13:45 24 Oct 2009

I would have thought that your on-board graphics would have been adequate for what you are trying to do - but that's a different matter. Either you have a faulty card or a faulty AGP slot on your MB. Try to eliminate the card problem first. Have you contacted the vendor technical services (as its OEM I doubt the manufacturer woould be interested)? Do you have a friend with a AGPx8 mb where you could test the card?

Alternatively, if you can get hold of another AGPx8 graphics card that you know is working, see if that works in your PC.

mrwoowoo 14:51 24 Oct 2009

"I then went into Device Manager and noticed the SIS Monitor drivers which i uninstalled."
Why did you do that?
Or do you mean SIS chipset drivers?
The monitor driver has nothing to do with installing a graphics card as that's a seperate issue. Perhaps you should reinstall your monitor driver and see what happens.
When going from onboard to a dedicated graphics card,you don't need to uninstall any drivers first.
What you should do is...
Boot into bios and disable onboard graphics then turn off PC.
Install graphics card and power on PC.
Install graphics card driver from disc or from a previously downloaded driver on your PC and restart.
That's it.

meddyuk 17:44 26 Oct 2009

Hiya.

Thanks for your help, however i have been into BIOS and couldn't find a function that said "disable onboard graphics". If i go into BIOS and go into Advanced and then into Advanced Chipset, there is a USB function which is enabled. The Share Graphics size is 64 MB and the Graphic Winsize was 128MB but ive upped that to read 256MB.

My AGP is listed in Plug and Play where its states that my VGA should boot from the AGP.

In Periphals the Onboard LAN is enabled and so is the audio device adn modem device.

Even if i plug my blue monitor lead into the original motherboard port whilst the card is inserted, the display is blank also.

I have reinstalled the monitor drivers.

Cheers, a very frustrated Meddy.

GaT7 18:04 26 Oct 2009

I sometimes have this problem with fitting a new graphics card or setting up a new motherboard, but a CMOS reset always cures it (if all the components are working ones of course).

A few CMOS reset methods click here. Make sure to disconnect the mains power cable before carrying out the first two methods. G

meddyuk 13:05 27 Oct 2009

was a bit dubious about doing a CMOS reset, as this should only be done as a last resort. i did however go into Device Manager and disable the SiS 616C. I put the graphics card and booted the pc up. I got the BIOS screen and then the POST screen, but then the screen went blank.

Any ideas?

GaT7 17:52 27 Oct 2009

Apparently it requires a BIOS update to get it to work. From click here:

Situation: "No display after installing add-on display adapter on Columbia 5P

Details: Although the Columbia 5P motherboard is equipped with an onboard display adapter, an AGP slot is available where an add-on card can be installed. If such a card is installed, the onboard display adapter is automatically disabled, and the monitor's signal cable should be connected to the external VGA connector on the newly installed card.
On systems with a Columbia 5P motherboard, the result may be that there is no VGA signal at all, even though the system seems to work fine.

Solution: To solve this issue, you should upgrade the system BIOS of the Columbia 5P motherboard to version 2.0A or higher."

Download the latest BIOS from click here, & install it AFTER determining your present BIOS version. Use SIW click here - run the standalone version & look under Hardware > BIOS. G

meddyuk 07:47 28 Oct 2009

Crossbow,

Cheers for the advice. I did look into doing that, but my CDRW stopped burning discs a while ago. I think it was the original burn data or something, because i downloaded XP Burndisc and the CDRW works fine.

I state this, because when i download the BIOS CD Boot disc from the packard Bell site, it wont burn, because its trying to use the original burning tools that came with the pc. There is no option to burn using Nero or XP or another burn programme.

Meddy.

If i go to SiS website and download the chipset from there will that do the same thing?

GaT7 17:32 28 Oct 2009

No, chipset drivers are different to a BIOS update.

See if there's a way to burn a bootable CD with your present burn program. Its Help file / website may have some info. G

GaT7 17:46 28 Oct 2009

Sorry, ignore my suggestion to use your present burn program to do it.

When I double-click on the downloaded BIOS file, with a blank CD in the drive, it creates the bootable CD on its own. If it's not doing it for you, then you may be right in thinking that it's to do with the faulty inbuilt burner.

Can you perhaps create it on a neighbour's/friend's PC? G

woodchip 18:26 28 Oct 2009

First if you installed a AGP card, in the BIOS you should not have "so knocked up my graphics ram from 128MB to 256MB" this is not needed it for the onboard Graphics that should be disabled. You need to Start in Safe Mode after you have been in BIOS and Disable Onboard Graphics if you, and set the Ram used to the lowest it will allow. In Safe Mode check that its using the new card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?