G.DMT

TonyW2 10:46 27 Jan 2008

After 6 months of intermittent connection dropping problems with talktalk, they have asked me to change the modem WAN setting from ADSL to G.DMT.
I have done this, but have not got a clue of what it is all about and why I have had to do it. Can anybody offer a (simple) explanation please, and do I need also to change the same setting on an ADSL2+ modem/ router that I sometimes use?

Windows XP, Smartax modem

Jim_F 11:14 27 Jan 2008

DMT is the working name for a transmission standard used on DSL lines. Basically it lets your modem and the one at the exchange manage the bandwidth on your phone line and ignore any frequency ranges that are degraded.

Wikipedia does a nice line in the gory detail if you want to know more: click here

Technotiger 11:17 27 Jan 2008

click here

So it looks as if G.DLT means a better/faster way of communicating - though I have not read the full article.

If your connection is working ok, I would not change your modem settings unless your ISP advises it.

Technotiger 11:18 27 Jan 2008

Snap :-)

TonyW2 12:42 27 Jan 2008

Thanks folks. (Wilkipedia overwhelmed me!)
So why don't they use this standard "normally"?

The talktalk modem has worked OK all morning with this new setting. Only time will tell if it is going to make a difference. In the meantime I will leave the other router alone and try changing it if I experience success with the talkt alk one.

Stuartli 13:31 27 Jan 2008

There may well be an Automatic setting, which will eliminate the need to specificaly use GDMT.

You can find the TalkTalk modem settings here:

click here

Particularly note the MTU figure of 1432...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?