Gateway Laptop

gippingman 20:48 26 Mar 2008

my son has one of these - model is MX3311b running XP. Recently, it has become noticably slower and quite frequently on start up, runs the CHK DSK facility for no obvious reason, slowing the start up orocess further. I have tried system restore using several different earlier dates, but after if has run it keeps saying "unable to create restore point" or similar. I have also tried to use the defrag facility and disk cleanup facility but they will not run as it keeps saying the drive c "is detecting that the CHk DSK facility is scheduled to run" or similar - not sure whether this is a software, hardware / hard disk issue - any thoughts

MAJ 21:01 26 Mar 2008

Follow Eric10's post in this thread. click here

gippingman 21:41 26 Mar 2008

when I try the chkntfs /c (it is the c drive that the laptop wants to repeatedly check)the coomand prompt line keeps saying - you must specify at least one drive name - I have tried the c drive as lower case and upper case but same message is displayed - c drive on laptop is known as c drive (not renamed ) - what am I doing wrong?

I have typed the command as above several times (with and without a space between the s and the forward slash)

MAJ 22:16 26 Mar 2008

I was posting on the other thread by mistake, gippingman, sorry about that. What I was saying was that chkntfs /c is not the same as chkntfs /c c:

But what you want to do is:

CHKNTFS /X C:

That will stop chkdsk running at startup. Then do:

Chkdsk /f /r C:

MAJ 22:18 26 Mar 2008

I was posting on the other thread by mistake, gippingman, sorry about that. What I was saying was that chkntfs /c is not the same as chkntfs /c c:

But what you want to do is:

CHKNTFS /X C:

That will stop chkdsk running at startup. *Reboot your PC* then do:

Chkdsk /f /r C:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?