Gateway connection

orihuela 13:23 07 Dec 2007

I have a desktop computer plus have just added a laptop computer using the wizard. I notice when I looked on my Network Connections I have "Wireless Connection" but also a "Gateway Connection". I read that that a Gateway Connection allows me to connect to the internet using a shared connection or another computer, so I presume its OK.

I am a bit windy about security on a wireless laptop (although I do have encrytion) so I just wanted to ask is the Gateway Connection on my laptop correct and safe to be there and safe to use?

Kemistri 15:46 07 Dec 2007

Looks like this should have gone into Networking.

Start from the top: are you using a router-based network or a peer-to-peer network?

IF you are using P2P, then you can expect to have a Gateway and you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). If a router is being used, then you seem to have ended up with an incorrect configuration.

By the way: which wizard? Details please.

orihuela 17:13 07 Dec 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by P2P but my desktop pc which is upstairs has a router. To set up my laptop I used Wireless Network Setup Wizard from my control panel and I have a laptop adapter.

Sorry to be so dim.

Kemistri 18:16 07 Dec 2007

Per the description in my first post, P2P is an abbreviation of peer to peer. Sometimes known as ad-hoc.

Since you use a host-based (router) network, there should not be any gateway and you should be very careful indeed about running any network-related wizards, particularly the totally superfluous Wireless Wizard.

What type of "laptop adapter" is that and what manages it (Windows or 3rd party software), in case it's relevant?

orihuela 09:55 08 Dec 2007

When I tried to set up my laptop wireless connection I went through the control panel (I have windows xp), and clicked on the icon "wireless network setup". It didn't work properly, so I found the disc that came with the BT Voyager 1065 laptop adapter and follwed its instructions.

I dont know at which point the gateway connection appeared on my laptop, but an interesting fact is that sometimes it's not there, then next time I look it will appear. It will show both the wireless connection and the gateway connection as being "connected". I cannot disconnect from the gateway.

Kemistri 15:48 08 Dec 2007

Couple of things for you to do that will probably help.

Firstly, check that ICS is disabled in the services management console - run services.msc

Secondly, follow the uninstall procedure for the BT adapter - I assume that you installed its management software, which you need to remove. You should be letting Windows manage wireless connections via Wireless Zero Config. Steps as follows:
[1] Uninstall the software in the usual way from the list in Program Access and Defaults.
[2] Uninstall the driver from Device Manager (ask me if you don't know how).
[3] Reboot. Run a cleanup if possible.
[4] Plug the adapter in. Let Windows install the driver from the product CD or (better yet) download the latest version from BT. Do not run the CD at all.
[5] Reboot if prompted.

There really is virtually no configuration involved in connecting to a wireless network; it is all done from the icon in the notification area and takes about 3 clicks and 2 seconds. Don't run any wizards again.

One more question - how old is this laptop? I'm wondering whether you are certain that it does not have its own integral adapter.

Kemistri 15:50 08 Dec 2007

You will probably want to do step [2] before step [1], just to be on the safe side.

orihuela 10:06 09 Dec 2007

My laptop is a few years old. Its an Acer Aspire 3000. It has a sticker on the from which says "Wi-Fi b/g Wireless Protocols compliant"

Kemistri 13:28 09 Dec 2007

Surely it has an integral adapter, if it claims to be Wifi compliant. Check in Device Manager (network adapters) - if you have been trying to use an adapter when another is already installed and active, that probably won't help.

orihuela 17:56 13 Dec 2007

It seems the Gateway connection has now gone from my laptop. Don't think I did it exactly how you said, got a bit lost (this is Absolute Beginners).

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone