Gates' Snooping Software

Seadog 09:47 25 Jan 2003

In the March issue of PCA there is a letter from a reader saying he was glad that he didn't upgrade from 98SE to XP because of the possibility of his computer seizing up due to "Bill Gates' snooping spyware" .
Unfortunately I missed the Feb issue of PCA so can anyone please tell me what the reader was on about?

Lozzy 09:53 25 Jan 2003

I know of no spy-ware in XP. Windows XP is the best OS to come out of Microsoft ever.. If your worried install XP as well as lavasoft ad-ware, its a free program that ferrets out spy ware so that you can remove it safely.. You will never ever regret upgrading to XP

I know of no spy-ware in XP. Windows XP is the best OS to come out of Microsoft ever.. If your worried install XP as well as lavasoft ad-ware, its a free program that ferrets out spy ware so that you can remove it safely.. You will never ever regret upgrading to XP

oops

flecc 12:04 25 Jan 2003

XP has many ways to dial up Microsoft etc for various reasons, bug reports etc., not really spying but it causes some annoyance and one does wonder. That's what that reader was on about.

If you get XP-Antispy, it's a tiny download and doesn't have to be installed, you can stop those functions auto dialling.

XP-Antispy:-

click here

jazzypop 12:15 25 Jan 2003

"..... can anyone please tell me what the reader was on about?"

On about his 8th pint in my view.

Notwithstanding Flecc's position, which can hardly be described as mainstream, XP is by far the most stable and downright usable version of Windows for the vast majority of home users.

Even the corporates have taken it up faster than any previous version.

If anyone can produce a single shred of evidence of 'snooping spyware' in XP, I would be pleased to see it.

I am fully aware of the faintly ridiculous EULAs that MS have produced, and I do not consider the 'checking for updates' features any more insiduous than my version of Norton Antivirus, or any one of dozens of other programs that I run which check for the availability of updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?