Garmin POI Loader Run Error

Mike43 17:28 06 Feb 2007

The POINTS OF INTEREST LOADER software is freely available to download from Garmin's website (click here). However, when downloaded to my WinXP (service pack 2) box it fails to open properly when I run it - only the upper part of the control panel displays - the 'next' and 'quit' buttons are missing so I cannot use it.
However, downloading it to my son's box (also WinXP pack 2), it works perfectly. So, I burnt the proven-to-be-working-version onto a disc and brought it home however, when I loaded the disc the software still behaves on my machine as it did from the download.
There are a few separate files in the download and the error infers that the application is not linking together on my box. It is so frustrating as it probably means other applications are not running properly too.
Incidentally, I've emailed Garmin on this but they haven't responded and in fairness, it seems that their software is probably fine - it's my box that's at fault.
Has anyone any clues that could shed a ray of light on this one?
Many thanks
Mike43

rawprawn 17:32 06 Feb 2007

Has your version of Garmin got enough free space to take the added upgrade?

Mike43 18:54 06 Feb 2007

Thanks rawprawn - perhaps my use of word 'box' was unfortunate. In all cases this means the PC as the POI LOADER is downloaded and the application runs on the PC. It is then used (if I can get it to work!) to collate and push data down a USB to the Garmin Satnav. So at this point the issue of space on the Satnav itself doesn't arise.

Dipso 20:51 06 Feb 2007

I'm sure I've seen this problem mentioned before on this site click here but I can't find anything through search. If no one else replies you could try asking one of the guys there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone