Gaming stops power

BWArtisan 00:11 10 Feb 2009

Hi Guys...newbie here, and not techy experienced! My desktop has developed a strange habit of shutting down...but only when I'm gaming. Otherwise it runs like a dream even on heavy programs like Photoshop. My tower shuts down but the power supply is still on at my keyboard. If I unplug my tower from the mains and then plug it right back in it will start up and run happily again no sweat....until I play a game. It's not overclocked or anything advanced. System spec is Pentium 4/3.4 GHz/1 GB RAM/GeCube Radeon X1300/512 MB/CD + DVD RW. I have had to replace the PSU when the original one went bang, but I got the same spec (I think). Many thanks, in advance for any help/advice/guidance.

DieSse 01:25 10 Feb 2009

There are four primary causes for a system to shut down under more intensive loads -

Overheating (fans running slow or even not at all - heatsinks bunged up with dirt and fluff)

Lack of power (power supply of marginal capacity)

Driver issues (particularly graphics card drivers)

RAM (poor quality or marginally performing)

What you could try is stopping it from shutting down on errors. Go to the Control Panel - System - Advanced tab - Click Settings in the Start up and Recovery section - untick the box Restart on Error. This may make the system give a BSOD from which some reason fort he shutdown may be gleaned.

When you restart, go into the BIOS and check the temperatures.

Check all the heatsinks (and fan speeds in the BIOS where possible) - clean if necessary.

Check the PSU wattage - at least 400W on this type of system.

Run a RAM diagnostic - put ram diagnostic into a google search and try a couple of the free ones.

DieSse 01:26 10 Feb 2009

And last but not least - check that you have the latest drivers for you graphics card (sorry - forgot yo add that).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?