Gaming Setup, opinions please

inneedofhelp 22:20 15 Oct 2006

Ok, I am in flightsim a big way. And with the new one just coming out, along with windows vista, i'm thinking its time for an upgrade.

At the moment I have the following

AMD athlon 64 3000 CPU
Asus K8V SE Deluxe mobo
512 x 2 OCZ PC3200 Platinum Ram
Radeon X800 XT PE AGP card
Thermaltake X case and cooler master water cooling to keep in nice and cool.

All I really want to upgrade is the CPU and mobo, but fear I might need to upgrade the ram to fully benefit from the new gen cpus these days.

My idea for CPU is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ (Socket 939).

For the mobo, maybe the Asus Sapphire PURE RD580 CrossFire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard. I want this becuase I believe this supports two PCI video cards?????????? In which case two ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X ***Crossfire/Master Edition*** SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4

Will this work? Will my exsisting memory work with this setup? The reason I want two graphics cards, is to run two screens.

Opinions Please

inneedofhelp 22:48 15 Oct 2006

bump

gudgulf 23:11 15 Oct 2006

This is taken from an interview with one of the game developers for FlightSim X:

"FS X will obviously be one of the showcase titles for Windows Vista and DirectX 10, In terms of the game engine, what new features will you be bringing in there?

Good question. We made a decision some time ago to align ourselves with the Vista launch knowing what we knew at the time in terms of schedules, and we committed to delivering integrated Vista features such as game explorer presence, parental controls, but as you know Vista has moved out, so we have had to make a decision as to how we were going to approach some of the other features specifically around DirectX 10.

The other complicating factor was the lack of hardware availability. So what you'll see when we release is a product that works on Windows Vista, our core product that we'll be releasing in October - it'll work on Windows Vista and game explorer and parental control functionality, but then we'll follow it up hopefully some time early next year with a free update to take advantage of the DirectX 10 features."

Source click here

Which leads me to the following comments:

FlightSim X is intended as a showcase DirectX 10 game and will be ugraded to that.....so spending a very large sum of money on two top of the range directX 9 cards is not sensible.

Wait for DirectX 10 hardware.

For VISTA?DirectX 10 games at least 2GB of RAM memory will be needed...having tried a Beta version of VISTA I would be wanting more than that..probably 4GB as VISTA itself makes very short work of at least 1GB.

The 4800+ is good cpu but you might be better looking to use a Core2 Duo cpu although I'm not sure what the situation is with Crossfire equipped motherboards on Sockey 775.

Main point......if you are mad keen on FlightSim then you will want to get the best out of it.You will want to have and get the best out of the latest version.You are looking at another expensive upgrade to do that based on the system you quote.

If it was me in the lucky position to have the cash to put together such a powerful new pc....I would wait for VISTA/DirectX 10 hardware.

inneedofhelp 23:18 15 Oct 2006

Thanks man. Mmm.. looks like I might need to wait then. As you say, it makes sense. Any idea when the DX10 cards come out????

sean-278262 23:37 15 Oct 2006

Just wait for vista and I would expect them to arrive about the same time. As with everything in the tech world things take forever if they want to or arrive on time. Christmas is just around the corner and I would expect to see things out some time just after. But dont expect that or any other date given to be right as no one knows. Take the PS3 as a prime example. Was on my xmas list but now more a birthday want in the summer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone