Gaming with non removable battery laptop (ultrabook)?

abenson 15:16 04 Jul 2014

Hello guys. I was just recently bought a Dell 15 7537, laptop (ultrabook?) with, sadly, a non removable battery. The scenario is, I mainly use the laptop for gaming at home for 4-5 hours on average, while plugged in. And when it's not in use, I unplug it. I am aware that laptops generally heat up much much faster during activities such as gaming.

The question is, to preserve battery life, or to minimize the heat, what should I do when I game with my laptop?

1. Leave it plugged while gaming while it charges at max battery (I am uncertain whether it's charging or not when it's max battery)
  2. Charge it, unplug it to play games, then when it gets low on battery, charge it again (while gaming)

Any other suggestions are welcome with open arms.

Thank you!

P.S. I've already bought a cooling pad and it seems to decrease the heat a little.

abenson 15:23 04 Jul 2014

I am terribly sorry for double posting. I would like to clarify the options, and add another option to the list:

1. Leave it plugged while gaming while it is at max battery (I am uncertain if it still charges at max battery, or it leaves the battery and gets it's powers from the electric outlet), and leave it unplugged when it is turned off

2. Charge it, unplug it to play games, then when it gets low on battery, charge it again while gaming, and after it reaches a certain amount, unplug it

3. Leave it continuously plugged in regardless whether it's in use or not

rdave13 15:40 04 Jul 2014

According to Dell you can get a replacement battery, click here ?

I'd leave on power when gaming and on battery when surfing etc. You need to discharge the battery every now and again. It's also recommended just to charge to about 95% only for a longer battery life.

abenson 17:43 04 Jul 2014

i don't plan on getting a replacement battery anytime soon as the laptop is new. What I'm asking about is, when you game, what countermeasures towards the battery heat should you take during long periods of gaming?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:44 04 Jul 2014

"What I'm asking about is, when you game, what countermeasures towards the battery heat should you take during long periods of gaming?"

None, the laptop and the battery itself, will take care of managing the charging, when it is on mains power. Gaming on battery power only, or connected to the mains, will not overheat the battery, unless it develops a fault but, that is very unlikely as battery overheating problems seem to be a thing of the past, at least as far as new laptops are concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires