games windows 95/98 can u play on windows xp

big bloke66 17:11 27 Nov 2004

im very new to playing games on a pc.i just wondered if it was possible to play games that are windows 95 98 etc on windows xp home edition cheers anyone

ACOLYTE 17:13 27 Nov 2004

Some you can some you cant,some wprk with 98/95 compatability mode depends on the game i think.

Totally-braindead 19:12 27 Nov 2004

It does depend on the game, some just will not run at all, some have patches which you download from the internet and together with running in compatabilty mode you can get to run perfectly. As an example at the moment I'm replaying the original Command and Conquer game which I've patched and am running in compatabilty for Win 98. If you mention the game you want to play someone will probably be able to tell you whether it will run or not under XP.

QuickHare 19:29 27 Nov 2004

Sadly, playing games on the PC is not as easy as playing on a games console. Before playing, you'll need to install the game. This can be done easily by following the instructions in the manual or onscreen.

For which games work, the all above are true. But remember your rights in the shop. You can happily ask whether it will run on Windows XP Home before purchase, then refuse if it doesn't. They are then under obligation to only sell you a game if it will work on the computer you specify (namely a Windows XP Home machine).

If they say it will work, ask if you need to do anything special to the computer, like Compatibility Mode. Some games will step you through this at the installation.

But, as Totally-braindead said, we'll be happy to say whether the game you want will work, but we cannot always guarantee it as we do not know the other specifications of your machine.

Remember you need at least what it recommends on the packaging.

Totally-braindead 19:47 27 Nov 2004

Further to what QuickHare has said about the specification, if the game says minimum required Pentium 800 for example and your computer is an 800 my advice would be don't buy it. It would run BUT it would probably run pretty badly perhaps even making the game unplayable or almost so. Always take the specification on the box with a pinch of salt and make sure your PC is a bit above what it asks for and then you won't be dissapointed.

Technotiger 20:06 27 Nov 2004

Hi, just a thought, if you are new to XP you might not know what is meant or how to check Compatibility Mode. When you instal game in XP right-click on game short-cut icon and go to Properties, then left-click on Campatibility tab and put a tick. Apply and the may or may not work!! Good luck :-)

big bloke66 22:27 27 Nov 2004

cheers guys ive been given flying fortress b17 mighty eighth . i just didnt want to bugger up my computer if i tried it.

big bloke66 22:40 27 Nov 2004

oh by the way guys this is the first computer ive ever owned. ive had it only 4 weeks its spec is a packard bell intel celeron d 325 processor 2.53ghz,533mhz,fsb,256kb cache 512mb ddr ram 80gb hard drive etc etc

QuickHare 17:56 28 Nov 2004

Can I just say, on behalf of all the members here and at PC Advisor, that it's nice to see you joining a happy community should you ever need help in the future. Good choice.

Your computer should be fine for all games that have the Windows XP logo on it, or mentions Windows XP on the box.

The specs to take with you when looking for games are: Intel 2.53GHz, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb Hard drive and the fact you have Windows XP Home. You may need to know what graphics card you have, but to be honest, I have yet to see a computer where the graphics card makes a difference to a game, and I've seen a fair few...

Welcome to this site bigbloke66 but just moderate your language.Ladies use this site as well,you know.

big bloke66 20:18 28 Nov 2004

sorry about the language. just letting my index finger press the keys before putting my numb brain in gear. i would just to thank all who responded to my question. cheers its good to know i can get help from people who dont take michael out of complete novices like moi ps. sorry about my grammer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?