Games and Graphics Problems

Geord 21:33 24 May 2005

I have recently upgraded my graphics card to NVidia GeForce 5700.

The actual graphics are much better; however I am encountering the following problems when playing certain games, predominantly FIFA 2005:

1. Occasionally choppy picture and screen freezes for a few seconds, together with sound freezes / jumps. I did have this problem with the old card, so this is not specific to the new card.

2. When each game is loading it takes considerably longer than before, and doing transfers in the game takes an age. This is a problem I have encountered since doing the upgrade.

I did wonder whether the upgraded graphics card may need a higher powered processor / extra memory to boost performance. This is something I have been considering anyway, but would would welcome an experienced opinion.

Existing Processor : Celeron

Current Memory: 256Mb

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dino Mite 22:20 24 May 2005

you need a new grafix card

Joe R 22:26 24 May 2005

Geord,

you don't say what size of CPU you are using, but your CPU, and memory, (what type ?) but , I would have thought the memory and CPU, would hold you back, more than the actual graphics card.

You could try disabling all programs when playing, and turn down the settings in the game, to minimum, or just above.

Joe R 22:27 24 May 2005

Jeeez,

wot good English.!

Geord 22:35 24 May 2005

Joe R

Sorry - probably a daft question, but how do I find out what size CPU and memory type I have - I'm not very computer literate!!

Thanks

Joe R 15:53 25 May 2005

Geord,

download everest home edition, and when you run it, it will tell you everything about your system.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Joe R 15:55 25 May 2005

oops,

click here

Geord 21:12 26 May 2005

Joe R

Thanks for that link - looks like a neat little programme that.

CPU is AMD Athlon 1000 MHz

Memory is 255 Mb, but 92% used so I guess therein could lie my problem

I've also reduced the Hardware Accelerator a notch which seems to have slightly improved things graphics wise, but not the time taken to load the screens etc.

Any idea if increasing the memory alone is likely to solve the problem, or is a CPU upgrade recommended as well (obviously don't want to spend unnecessarily.

Many Thanks.

Joe R 22:10 26 May 2005

Geord,

A memory update is £ for £, the best update you can give a P.C.

And yes, it should make a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?