Games dropping out to Desk-Top!

Louis Wu 14:38 04 Mar 2008

When playing games the screen goes blank and I am dropped back to the desk top.The interval is random.I have run a full system scan using Avast anti virus program and it found nothing wrong !
Anyone any ideas what is causing this?
[I have also done a system check using PC Doctor with no results}

Devil Fish 16:19 04 Mar 2008

1) close any running programs before running the game ie antivirus antispyware etc
they could be performing actions in the background like updating etc which could cause this problem

2) make sure you are running the latest graphics drivers and sound drivers

3) make sure the games have the latest available patches installed

hope these suggestions help

D

ACOLYTE 21:02 04 Mar 2008

If you have vista,you might need to set the games to run in xp compatibility mode and run as admin to get them to work fully.

To do this right click the games shortcut,select properties,click the compatibility tab,tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" select Windows XP SP2,then go down and tick the box under Privilege level that says "Run this program as administrator" click apply and ok.

HTH

citadel 21:06 04 Mar 2008

what graphics card have you as if it is not up to the job it will throw in the towel when the going gets tough.

Jim_F 22:53 04 Mar 2008

Hi Louis,

This has happened to me with mid-range NVidia GFX cards- so far it has always been down to poor cooling or inadequate power from the PSU.

The cheap diagnostic is to run the computer with the sides off - if works you have the culprit - heat.

If not then try unplugging things you don't need to run the games that fail - USB devices, additional CDROMs etc. If this works then your power supply components have deteriorated or you may be just putting to much load on it - this can sometimes happen months after you last added a new device as components on the edge don't always fail all at once.

Jim_F 22:56 04 Mar 2008

Sorry I put that badly - typically PSU components deteriorate over time and degrade the performance of a PSU rather than fail outright.

Hope thie helps,
Jim

MAT ALAN 23:04 04 Mar 2008

Screensavers are known to do this realtime scanners auto updates can have the same effect.
try turning off all non essential services.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone