Game refuses to start

Cybermaxx 22:00 17 Sep 2006

'Tortuga - Pirates of the New World'. Installed it (it's been installed before, and worked without a hiccup), but it won't start. I get the message, "Checking current CD ROM. Please Wait." for about 30 seconds, and then, "Disk verfication error" pops up, and that's it.

I have swapped graphics cards since the last time I installed it (ATI 9600XT to nVidia 6800GT). Tried the disc in both drives, to no avail. Yes, it's an original, purchased game.

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

STREETWORK 07:26 18 Sep 2006

Looks like the CD is faulty.

Also check online for any patches for the game

Cybermaxx 22:41 18 Sep 2006

How can the CD be faulty? It's worked before, it installed alright this time, and it certainly isn't physically damaged. I'll look for a patch, but it ain't looking good!

Devil Fish 23:31 18 Sep 2006

click here

for english retail patch v1.1

Cybermaxx 20:28 19 Sep 2006

Cheers! Almost forgot about it, tbh. So many games installed now.........

Cybermaxx 20:32 19 Sep 2006

The patch did the trick. Must have been the 6800GT that it didn't like.

Devil Fish 23:11 19 Sep 2006

i have seen this problem before it is to do with copy protection on the cd, safe disk i believe is the one it checks the disk each time you try to load the game

but patching is always a good place to start before uninstalling then reinstalling because invariably you have to trawl through device manager to clean out copy protection drivers etc

anyway i am glad to here you are up and running

Cybermaxx 10:47 20 Sep 2006

Yes, it's all good. An addictive little game. A stripped down version of Port Royale (ie The complex trading guff has been removed). Anyone who liked Pirates on the C64 will like this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?