game freezes

gasgas 22:56 11 Mar 2006

i have a new aries computer.i have loaded splinter cell pandora tomorrow.the game runs fine for approx 5mins then the screen starts to become very "blocky" then freezes.the configuration utility program which came with the game has detected this error "no non power of two render target support detected" all the rest of the system requirements exceed the minimum req.the only other game i have loaded and ran is a model flight simulator which does the same but only after about 15mins

SG Atlantis® 22:58 11 Mar 2006

over heating

Mr Beeline 23:03 11 Mar 2006

Hi

Have you tried downloading the latest patch for this game (IE. Splinter Cell)? As if you try a GOOGLE with this error message, it appears like quite a few people have had this problem and it went away when they patched the game.

Good luck.

Starfox 23:03 11 Mar 2006

Agree - certainly appears to be an overheating problem.

Starfox 23:07 11 Mar 2006

Entered too soon,

was going to say have you tried the patch which has caused similar problems in some cases.

click here

gasgas 23:09 11 Mar 2006

if there is a overheating problem does this mean i have a fauly graphics card?

SG Atlantis® 23:13 11 Mar 2006

It can be that or power issues...

I'd guess that pandora tomorrow draws more resources than the simulator game, hence why it crashes after 5 mins and the sim game runs for longer.

Or driver issues, have you tried updating graphics drives? patches, tried the patch provided above?

What's the full spec of the machine?

gasgas 23:22 11 Mar 2006

i haven't tried updating the graphics driver as its version 6.14.0010.8198 dated 10/12/2005 and thought it would be the latest version.m/c is amd athlon 64 3000.160gb hard drive.512 mb ram.128 mb nvidia gcard 6600

wolfie3000 01:15 12 Mar 2006

check the fan isnt loose i know its an obvios one but it happened to me.

But i agree with others overheating seems to be the problem.

If not then try running over games to see if they crash too.

Check vents fans and the heat sink for dust too.

gasgas 22:11 24 May 2006

thanks everyone for the response.i loaded the latest graphics card driver off nvidia's site and the games run "spot on" now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?