Gaining access to 'blocked' computers

Florio 17:20 29 Oct 2007

I work as a CEL (collaboratore ed esperto linguistico) at an Italian university. As of this week, I'm having to conduct lessons in a language lab fitted out with various computers, all of which run Windows 2000. The problem is that many of the computers have been 'sabotaged' by students and, once Windows opens, no one else can get past the password protection. Basically the computers, once turned on, require a user name and password. Is there any way to remove the password protection without having to get into the Control Panel and the Administrator (or User) accounts? Today I had a very large class, and only about 10 computers were able to be used.

Pamy 17:42 29 Oct 2007

Go to the IT department

Diversion 18:24 29 Oct 2007

I found this program very useful when my son-in-law passed away quite unexpectedly. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 29 Oct 2007

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

skidzy 18:54 29 Oct 2007

click here

Its a powerful tool,but does take some getting use to.I have used this with donated computers from a university...though not always successful.

Or you could try safemode if possible and click here

Florio 20:11 29 Oct 2007

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions. 'Unblocking' these computers should not, of course, be my responsibility, but as far as technicians are concerned, the university is greatly understaffed and the the few people employed to take care of the computers seem to spend most of the time in other faculties.
Unfortunately, I do not have copies of the XP or 2000 CDs and so cannot reboot from them, but I will look into the software proposed above. If anyone thinks of any other solutions, I would be interested.

paul€ 20:35 29 Oct 2007

" Is there any way to remove the password protection without having to get into the Control Panel and the Administrator (or User) accounts? "

that should be the easiest and quickest route.

You could do it in batches of ten, twenty or thirty while it's booting to control panel. each machine would just need about one minute to wipe the old accounts and set up as a different administartor.

Doing a batch of 30 shouldn't take much more than an hour.

skidzy 20:43 29 Oct 2007

If you have the problems i have had,you may find the bios is protected also,possibly leaving you will no choice but to format the drives and start from scratch.

Though if safemode is not protected another link here that may help..i know you say w2k so not sure if this will work click here

Diversion 22:38 05 Nov 2007

The program link that I put up above, the program is installed in safe mode then when you run the program select the top item in the left hand column and all the Log On passwords are there to see. You can install it as the Administrator as the user name still requires the password in safe mode, and it reveals all the users Log On passwords on a network.

Regards Diversion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?