ga_7n400

chippy+ 15:10 28 Jan 2011

hi one of my older pcs ga_7n400PRO socket A it has a small fan for the internal video which is making a noise can i get a replacement or can i diable it an use a agp pci card the motherboard has 3g ddr ram 2.000 athlon and runs very fast the noise of the fan spoils the pc thanks Chippy

GaT7 15:45 28 Jan 2011

I have this motherboard, but it's defective & have been meaning to get rid of it for the last 5-6 years (!) but never got around to it.

So I'll see if the fan still works, & if yes you can have it for free. This particular motherboard doesn't have internal graphics/video by the way. The fan (if present) is there to cool your Northbridge chip.

Unless you have the model number wrong?

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO specs click here. By the way, Rev 2.x version of this board did away with the fan & replaced it with a passive heatsink - you can see this in the link. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 28 Jan 2011

Is this on board video?

"can i diable it an use a agp pci card" Yes no problem

tried cleaning and lubricating the fan?
dirty blades will cause an unbalance and therefore noise.
if there is a label on the middle of the fan sometimes you can peel back to reveal a small pin hole where you can apply a drop of very light oil to lubricate the bearings.

chippy+ 16:37 28 Jan 2011

hi thanks for the replies i looked at the drawing
and understand about the chip my motherboard dose have the small fan marked 8VG on the board which lies like a diamond shape on the board had a look at the link Crossbow7 the passive cooling was the best way to go i would like to take your offer if possible thank you both for your trouble
Chippy

GaT7 17:20 28 Jan 2011

Chippy, I'll pm you when I've found it.

I know exactly where it is, but just a question of moving other bits out of the way to get to it!

If I pull it out tonight & can test it too, it'll be in the post tomorrow. G

chippy+ 18:41 28 Jan 2011

hi thanks for your help
Chippy

GaT7 18:58 28 Jan 2011

No problem Chippy, found & pm'ed.

It doesn't sound louder than normal, but it's without a doubt the loudest sound that emanates from the motherboard! G

chippy+ 20:44 01 Feb 2011

Hi
Received the fan when i came back from my daughters this afternoon (still doing joinery and painting i think i will need to climb out the window to escape) fitted the fan and it is very quite thanks again Chippy

GaT7 14:22 02 Feb 2011

Thanks for letting me know & I'm glad it works well :-), G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?