Fuzzy Display

User-A8CD1448-A679-4C2C-9B0669DC25ABFDFE 15:06 23 Oct 2003

My computer runs Windows 98SE. Had a problem recently with a virus/trojan which generated spelling errors in the DOS start-up screen & then some weird stuff to the display after windows kicked in. Norton identified a couple of suspect files which I deleted. This solved most of the problems except that I have been left with a display which is clearly faulty - the colours are washed out & there is ghosting, rather like a poor TV reception. I've checked screen settings (they're OK) & tried updating drivers for video card (Nvidia Geforce DDR) but no improvement. Would welcome suggestions on what to do next/

Stuartli 16:20 23 Oct 2003

You haven't got anything magnetic such as speakers close to the monitor - this can upset a monitor if they are not shielded.

Even a mobile phone can affect some sets.

mdshamilton 16:59 23 Oct 2003

How old is the monitor? They do fail after a few years...

Thanks for the comments but I'm pretty sure its not a monitor problem. Too much a co-oincidence that the problem started when the trojan/virus interfered with the display.

Epoc 18:21 23 Oct 2003

Have you tried completly uninstalling the graphics card drivers and then installing the new drivers, rather than just updating?

BarryKeith 21:24 23 Oct 2003

You should also check that the monitor lead to your computer is fully inserted, preferably with the retaining screws in place and screwed down. A bad connection could cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Have unstalled & reinstalled display drivers - to no avail. In the process, I installed standard VGA Driver & noted that ghosting was still as bad. Also as bad when in safe mode. By a process of elimination, am now convinced it is not a driver problem. Could it be the motherboard, and if so how can I tell?

Rikku 10:56 24 Oct 2003

maybe its your actual graphics card??

just a thought maybe you could borrow ure friends GFX card for an hour or 2 also is your computer near the kitchen micorwaves can do soem things too

hope some of this helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone