Furthermore....SD, SDIO and MMC

herc182 15:36 23 Jul 2004

Sorry people, but what is the difference between SD, SDIO and MMC memory? my PDA supports all three but i am unsure which is best/cheapest (have tried looking for it online but cant get the right key words!!).

Cheers

stalion 16:14 23 Jul 2004

have a look here click here
you can type in your computer number and they will tell you what is suitable for yours

herc182 16:30 23 Jul 2004

Its my PDA and not my PC, hence this doesnt work....
I know what memory it takes, just not sure what the differences are between them, and the costs.

Thanks for you help

stalion 16:35 23 Jul 2004

sorry missed the pda part of your post

Stuartli 16:49 23 Jul 2004

Secure Digital is an encrypted version of MultiMedia memory and, in most cases, products such as digital cameras using SD memory are also compatible with MMC; however this is not written in stone and your manual will advise.

Here's a description of SDIO:

click here

An explanation of the advantages of SD over MMC:

click here

herc182 17:08 23 Jul 2004

Thanks for that. So is SDIO a form of adding functionality to a device (such as bluetooth and WiFi)? whereas SD and MMC are storage only?

Thanks

pcwhizz 17:23 23 Jul 2004

MMC is used in Smart Phones , Digital Cameras, PDA's and So On. It is used for storgae Only

SD is the same as MMC but its encrypted.

And as u sed SDIO adds Functionality.

For price I would go with MMC coz its wot i use.

On ebuyer.co.uk there is a well reviewed 256mb MMC card for £33 with free p&p at moment.

click here

hope this helps

pcwhizz

herc182 17:26 23 Jul 2004

i read that MMC is slower than SD and that it has less security (?). I was thinking of getting the SD II. its a little xtra but will benefit from speed. dont know if its a massive increase in speed tho.

Thanks

pcwhizz 18:16 23 Jul 2004

u wont spot the speed difference.

it really insignificant

Stuartli 10:24 24 Jul 2004

Yes, but SD is far superior to MMC - that's why it was developed - and the price difference these days over MMC is now very small.

herc182 09:17 26 Jul 2004

So is the difference between SD and SDII notable (in a PDA) and worth paying the extra money for?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone