Further help required

rickwoo 17:34 14 Aug 2003

Can someone tell me whether a site can store details on your hardrive, other than in the cache, history etc (which i have cleared)so that the next time you're online they can call out and automatically send you web pages. Bsically what i'm saying is can i clear my computer so this does not happen.

I'm not convinced that this is a po up as the site i was originally accessing is completely different to the 'invader', and not sure they would want to be linked to it.

Forgive my non tech language, but this is a maze i'm trying to work my way out of.

Thanks for your time

VoG II 17:38 14 Aug 2003

I've posted an answer click here

wiznyme 17:40 14 Aug 2003

A lot of sites put cookies on your system, mostly their good & do things like saving you from having to enter your username/ password every time.

Depending on the type of thing your talking about there's any number of places a site can put files on your system they can also edit the registry.

Does the pop up only come when you visit a specific site?

Forum Editor 20:16 14 Aug 2003

asked this question in another thread - and received helpful advice.

If you still need help, please don't start a new thread - use the original one - it confuses people who are trying to follow the process.

I'm locking this thread now, please revert to the original.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?