further connection problems!

spook08 10:47 26 May 2008

hi to all ,as you may see on my previous postings i recently bought a (Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router) ahead of receiving a new laptop with vista & wi-fi etc on it.

having followed the helpful advice on previous postings(thanks again) i went ahead to install the router on the p.c......only to find that it did not actually have a network card!!:(

So i went ahead with plan B to install the netgear software and router-modem directly on the laptop, and then hopefully remove the ethernet cable to then go wireless.

The problem has been so far that the software is not detecting any DSL connection, i am guessing that this is because there is no connection to be found as it is a brand new laptop, i have tried inputing the broadband log-in details from my supplier(tiscali) but their seems to be a problem with the router or even vista being able to find a connection.

This makes me wonder if it is actually possible to connect a new modem-router to a new laptop without previously having a connection before on the laptop?
But since this is supposed to be a router-modem dsl all in one surely this should be able to make a wired connection?

otherwise would i need to buy a wired modem just to make a connection and then install the netgear?

Any ideas on this? as i find this is getting more complex than it should be!! thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 26 May 2008

Plug router into phone line

connect wlan port on router to ethernet port on laptop using a cat5 standard patch cable (not crossover)

Run router CD to access config pages on router and input Tisali details

Check DSL lamp on router is steady

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?