'Funny' link problem since routine S/W updates.

Chris the Ancient 11:41 02 Jul 2009

For ages (years, in fact) I have been using a desktop link into this forum that includes all my details to 'automatically' log in. I'm using Firefox as the default browser. The desktop short cut link goes like...

http: // [email protected][email protected]owforum%26forumid%3D1" title="www.techadvisor.co.uk/account/login/index.cfm?action=login&email=[email protected][email protected]owforum%26forumid%3D1" TARGET="_new">click here (extra spaces included to avoid "click here", I hope.

Recently (since the last XP update or was it the FF upgrade to 3.5?), the first time I use my link to short cut into the forum after the pc is switched on from 'cold', up pops a warning message saying that the address can't be found. And then the requested forum page pops up immediately with no problem.

Not the end of the world, obviously, but has anyone else had this happen?

p.s. - now out until later this afternoon.

CtA

Chris the Ancient 11:45 02 Jul 2009

The link structure didn't work!

Trying again with even more spaces

http:// www. pcadvisor. co.uk / account/ login/index.cfm?action=login & email=xxxxx. [email protected] co. uk &password=zzzzz & originurl=%2Fforums%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3Dshowforum%26forumid%3D1

Chris the Ancient 11:45 02 Jul 2009

That's better!

Sea Urchin 12:09 02 Jul 2009

I would try remaking the shortcut on the desktop

Technotiger 14:18 02 Jul 2009

Better still if you get yourself a Keyboard with a Web/Home key on it - all I need to do to get onto the Forum is press the aforementioned key, giving instant access.

I also get instant access to various other regularly used items in the same way - like, email/Skype/My Pictures/Music/Documents etc

Chris the Ancient 14:51 02 Jul 2009

Just come in, switched on the computer, clicked my link and it went straight in!

Sea Urchin... I'll try that and monitor it for a couple of days.

Technotiger... Used to have a keyboard with loads of those sorts of buttons on it, but I changed it for a 'whizzy' one that has illuminated keys (coz it looks pretty) but no multimedia keys Even then, if I programmed a key with all that 'instant access' data there would be the question of if that cures it.

Chris the Ancient 15:32 02 Jul 2009

Just done a remade link and that cused an error followed by the page opening.

Hard luck, Sea Urchin. No cigar ;-)

Sea Urchin 18:54 02 Jul 2009

What a shame - I shall have to give up smoking.

Seriously though I don't know why that should happen - I used your link substituting my own email/password (and closing up the spaces) and it worked perfectly with either IE or Firefox as default.

PS I did get a message at first saying the address could not be found, but I had left one of your spaces in the address

Chris the Ancient 19:09 02 Jul 2009

... is this a possibility?

The new FireFox is a lot quicker on my pc. Is it a thought that perhaps the link is s-o-o-o long that it is trying to open the page before all the information is sent - especially when my centention ratio might be a bit more favourable?

Just a thought.

Sea Urchin... Give up smoking? Heaven forbid. I certainly get through some of the day's crises without the occasional walk away and think - aided by the noxious weed and its associated carcinogens. But, one day, I may give up... again.

Chris the Ancient 19:09 02 Jul 2009

=contention!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?