Full re-install or not?

Seadog 23:10 13 Nov 2009

I just got a new pc with windows 7 to replace my aging P4 3.2Mhz Xp machine.
I want to pass the machine on to family but for a while I noticed that the Xp machine has been very slow opening programs - really anything to do with transferring data from the hard disk has been slow - burning programs (i.e. copying discs) etc.

Once a program is open it seems to run ok - unless it has to access or use the hard disk.
I use Ccleaner on a regular basis and the HDD has been recently defragged. My anti-virus is AVG pro. Neither program reports any problems.

I've removed programs and data that I didn't want to pass on but the machine is still deathly slow - does this warrant a format and full re- install? I don't really want to do that as it will take me a lot of time, but advice would be helpful.

User-1229748 23:14 13 Nov 2009

there have been reports of the latest avg slowing many a pc down but if you are passing the pc on i reckon i would go for the fresh install.it's not going to be any quicker than it will be after a fresh install

Seadog 23:23 13 Nov 2009

Thanks, I did reckon that it might be AVG, I've got a 3 user licence with my new pc for Mc Afee (AVG subscription runs out anyway in January 2010)

Maybe I should un-install AVG and install McAfee and see how it goes?

It's just that I can't really be bothered to do a full re-install on something I'm just giving away - if you see what I mean....

User-1229748 23:37 13 Nov 2009

yep i do know what you mean with all the updates and the like.when i've had pc's past on to me i've always done a fresh install or a system recovery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?