Full to 4.7 DVD capacity

geedad 21:02 14 Jan 2010

Copied a tape to PC.
Wanted to burn to DVD (for playback on DVD player), but too large. Can I reduce the size of the videos without loss of quality?
geedad

User-312386 21:05 14 Jan 2010

Do you mean you copied a video tape? What programme did you use and what format did you rip it to?

OTT_B 21:08 14 Jan 2010

If you've ripped to a normal DVD codec then no, you can't reduce without loss of quality. What format did you rip to?

geedad 21:22 14 Jan 2010

madboy33©®
OTT_B
Yes, copied a video tape to HD.
Used Cyberlink Power Producer that came with Kworld DVD Maker.
Format to make video was Mpeg2.
Tape size was 1 hour 36 mins.
About 6,600 MB.
Thanks for your speedy responses!
geedad

OTT_B 21:33 14 Jan 2010

Try converting it to Short Play DVD format, if you didn't do that already. You may get a loss of quality, but unless you go for a dual layer DVD there's no way round it that I know of.

geedad 22:05 14 Jan 2010

OTT_B
Thanks, I may split the result over two 4.7 DvD's, it's only for home use.
Parts 1 and 2!
Thanks again!
geedad

OTT_B 22:10 14 Jan 2010

In all honesty, since the films are transferred off of VHS, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference if you reduced the picture quality. Most films produced on DVD are less than 4.7GB anyway.

eedcam 22:24 14 Jan 2010

Most films are well over 4.7 G/byte and anyway a single layer dvd can only hold about 4.3G/byte. You can compress to fit with little noticeable loss in Quality Of course its Illegal anyway.

geedad 23:23 14 Jan 2010

OK, forum members. You have all been very helpful, and I have enough info now, for which I thank you all.
Looks as if I will have to scrub it to stay out of trouble anyway!
Just a thought.
If I copied a film from tape (successfully) and it is illegal to do so, what if the same film was broadcast, and I copied THAT?
How does one know a COPY from a RECORDING?
All this is for pure home, private use, and not for gain.
I would like your thoughts on that.
geedad

OTT_B 23:31 14 Jan 2010

*IF* broadcast films work the same way as music, it is legal to record providing it is for personal use only and not distributed.

Does that include changing the media it's on? Probably not. Would anyone care? Probably not!

geedad 23:50 14 Jan 2010

OTT_B
Good point!
Thanks
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?