Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pa 1510

johndrew 11:31 24 Dec 2006

Two questions that someone with one of these or knowledge of laptops may be able to answer.

1. Is it possible to boot into Safe Mode?

2. For backup purposes using Acronis True Image (and for recovery using the ATI CD if necessary) is it possible to boot from the DVD/CD drive?

I have read the manual and searched the Fujitsu site with no results. There are details on how to use the recovery disk on its cover but that is all.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kate B 11:46 24 Dec 2006

Without knowing specific details of your motherboard, the answer is yes, almost certainly, to both questions. To boot into safe mode, tap the F8 key during the boot process and it should give you various options before it goes into Windows, including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Normal (or something like that).

To boot directly from a CD/DVD, you have to go into the bios. Switch the machine on and as it comes to life watch for a message that says "hit F8 (or whatever) for setup". Then there will be a set of options about first boot device: change yours from the C drive to the X drive (where X is the letter of your DVD drive).

johndrew 15:50 24 Dec 2006

Yes, My brain must have been addled!!! The F8 key does work as on most PCs. I have also modified the boot sequence to look at the DVD/CD drive before the HDD and that has solved that problem.

Now I have a problem with Acronis TI. For some reason either the software is not compatible with the external (or internal) drive or there is a protection I am unaware of; I have tried both the normal boot and Emergency Acronis disc boot but neither will permit a backup image.

Any ideas? I have no problem with my son`s Toshiba!!! That works fine.

johndrew 20:33 24 Dec 2006

After many attempts I had a success in producing a backup file. I think there may be a problem with the external HDD or some kind of mismatch. Will need a closer look.

Did a chkdsk on the external no problem reported. Wierd. Must be the time of year!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?