Fujitsu laptop not showing full memory upgrade

CKJDJK 19:08 10 Aug 2007

I have installed a Cruical 1gig memory upgrade to my laptop but it only shows up as 512mb in bios and windows. Cruical say that I need to flash the bios with the latest update. Is this right. I donot want to try this unless it will fix the fault as I understand if it goes wrong then the laptop will be a scrapper. The upgarde is a single module and fitted in the first slot after removing the original 256mb module. Refitting the original module the bios shows correctly 256mb. Any Ideas?

DieSse 19:42 10 Aug 2007

"Cruical say that I need to flash the bios with the latest update. Is this right."

Probably - Crucial are generally regarded as a trustworthy and competent company.

However if you want someone to confirm what they said, you'll have to post details about your system and motherboard.

CKJDJK 19:55 10 Aug 2007

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2030. I dont have the system board info.

DieSse 20:03 10 Aug 2007

Try a utility such as Everest (free) click here to try and find the motherboard.

CKJDJK 21:35 10 Aug 2007

I have aleady downloaded the latest BIOS update from Fujitsu but I am worried about the risk involved in flashing the bios so have not done it yet. I do not want to take the risk if the memory module is faulty. Hence my asking this forum if there is a beter way of correcting the problem or should I return the module to Crucial as I do not want to wreck the laptop.

DieSse 22:00 10 Aug 2007

There's not a better or different way of correcting the issue, if the issue really is the need of a BIOS update.

Yes you're right, BIOS updates that go wrong can cost you the motherboard normally, so you are right to ask for extra advice.

The Fujitsu site says for the latest BIOS flash, to version 1.0I

current BIOS v1.0i:
Solved Problems:
- Fine tuning on memory interface
Known Problems:
- none

Which may agree with what Crucial says, but isn't exactly proof positive.

What version BIOS do you have right now?

Why not contact Fujitsu for a statement?

Fujitsu support site click here

CKJDJK 22:21 10 Aug 2007

I currently have version 1.0g. I must leave for work now thanks for the help so far will follow up tomorrow

CKJDJK 09:11 11 Aug 2007

I have downloaded the bios update files, how do I make a bootable CD or USB drive as I do not have a floppy drive? Any advice on how to flash the bios would be appreciated thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017