Fujitsu laptop mic and alternatives to Audacity?

songbird72884 13:37 26 Jul 2008

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop and amd trying to record audio with it. I have two main problems that I'm hoping someone can help with.

The first is that, when attempting to record through the microphone jack using a Plantronics headset (which I have used for some time with no problems on my other laptop), I find that the audio has a (to me) rather annoying 'hollow' sound, as though I am recording in a tiled room or, as my father says, in a recording studio. This is all well and good, but I prefer the sound I am used to, which is a more solid sound without echo or hollowness. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone help me out at all?

Also, I do have a USB adaptor for the headset which I can use, but although this gets the 'solid' sound I'm looking for, there is an annoying buzzing sound over the audio that I can't find out how to get rid of. I have tried with Audacity and the buzzing is very pronounced, but it isn't as loud when I record using Windows Sound Recorder. However, I really don't like using Windows Sound Recorder at all, because I don't like the interface nor the fact that I can't 'tweak' it like Audacity. Is there another program similar to Audacity that I can download as freeware?

cocteau48 13:49 26 Jul 2008

Worth a look:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie