FTP Problems

fitshase 12:13 19 Dec 2006

OK, I posted this a while back but then let it drop due to a change in priorities. However, now I need to get my FTP server up and running and I'm hitting the same problem.

I have an FTP server running on an external HDD. All works well from the internal network. I have opened the port (port 21) on my router to allow FTP traffic. When I try to input the ftp address in a web browser (from the internal network), all works well, the router logs the tcp traffic as a rule match and I can access the ftp server.

However, if anyone else tries to connect they get nothing. The page cannot be displayed. However, my router still recognises the attempt as a rule match so it is getting to the router, through the router and then nothing!

Help anyone?

Cheers

fitshase 09:25 20 Dec 2006

well, after much puzzling and hair pulling I have managed it.

The FTP server in the external HDD was manually set an IP address (so it was static) but the subnet was incorrect (255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.255.255).

So, set the external HDD to get an IP from the DHCP server and then set the router to give it a static IP. All is working great now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?