FTP : how do you do it?

John Ross 22:07 20 Mar 2004

I am grateful for help!

I have had to pull out of a conference inwashington, as my wife is ill. A colleague is going to give my presentation at the conference, but I need to get about 60-70Mb of Powerpoint presentation and word files to her.
Someone has kindly allowed us to use a ftp site in her work, butI cannot work out how to do it.
I can access the ftp page, but cut and pasting doesn't work, and using Poerdesk Pro ftp utility and entering password etc doesn't work either.

any suggestions as to how I can use this ftp would be very gratefully received. If there is a moron's guide to fTP on the web somewhere it would be great if you could tell me where.
thank you

Diodorus Siculus 22:15 20 Mar 2004

Try a different FTP program like ws_ftp which is quite good. You have two windows: the local disk and the remote disk. Drag from one to the other and they should go ok. You will need a broadband connection for that volume of files though.

keverne 22:16 20 Mar 2004
  VoG II 22:19 20 Mar 2004

click here - simply drag and drop.

John Ross 22:36 20 Mar 2004

thanks.
things are moving forward.
The only problem now is I am being asked for a host name, but haven't been given one.
I have the ftp address. Is there a way of working out the hostname?
the folks at the other end (in toronto) are all off snowboarding today, so I can't ask them!
thanks

Forum Editor 23:06 20 Mar 2004

the same as the FTP address. In other words, if you have w ww.yourcolleague.com as the FTP address that would probably be the host address as well.

This isn't an infallible rule, but try it and see.

Forum Editor 23:09 20 Mar 2004

If you really get stuck, email me with the FTP details and I'll access the server from here to make sure it all works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?