Frustratingly slow internet connection

khareji 12:46 17 Jun 2004

Having just reformatted my computer a few weeks ago because my daughter decided to delete a piece of software with disastrous results (!), I was quite happily bowling along when suddenly in the last couple of days my Broadband connection (ntl) has decided to cause problems. It's going at a snail's pace which, when you've got 3 impatient teenagers, causes hair-tearing and gnashing of teeth to say the least! Is there anything on Windows (I've still got 98 I'm afraid) that I can do to speed ANYTHING up, or will I have to buy a piece of software for the job. I've defragmented and scanned for viruses but it's still no better. Please help!

end 15:34 18 Jun 2004

so what"s so wrong WITH Win 98??? I use it and am happy with it....(one very computer novice here)

but,,..have you run scan disc in "standard" mode/??? an have you run defragment a few times to "speed" THAT up???? (just SOME ideas!!)

Chegs ® 15:41 18 Jun 2004

Have you tried PC Pitstop.There is a downloadable file (Autofix) to try changing the "Latency" Or you can try DrTCP,but its not anything like as easy to use as the "Autofix" click here

GaT7 16:23 18 Jun 2004

You could try contacting NTL directly for help. Customer Services - 0800 052 2000. Or use their easy-to-follow online help contact wizard click here.

Have you checked for ad/spyware with Adaware & Spybot-S&D that may be causing these problems? Please ask for links if you need them.

Let's know how you get on. Good luck, G

khareji 20:06 18 Jun 2004

Downloaded Adaware and Spybot and problem is now sorted. Will bear Autofix in mind if anything else arises (! - hope not!). Thanks for all your great advice one and all.

Dorsai 20:27 18 Jun 2004

Just get one. No advice as to which, but make sure you have one.

GaT7 20:28 18 Jun 2004

Also get SpywareBlaster - click here. Enable protection after install. SB works in the background & protects your PC from ad/spyware as you surf. With all the above programs remember to scan & check for updates regularly. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?