Frustrating C Drive Message

goonerjlf 21:53 16 Apr 2006

My comp. keeps telling me I have to clear space on my C Drive. I've deleted what I can, and even spent about and 30 minutes the other night clearing out as man cookies as I could. But the message keeps coming up.

I don't have too much in My Documents, e.g. Letters, etc. and never save too much in this area.

Everytime I get the message, I follow the prompts, and it calculates how much space needs freeing and then deletes 'temporary internet files'

Does anyone know what I need to do to stop receiving this message so often?

De Marcus™ 21:57 16 Apr 2006

some system specs would help determine a few factors, i.e. hard drive size, how much is reported free and what operating system your using?

Also are you using any norton products?

Taff™ 21:57 16 Apr 2006

Which Operating System are you using and how much free space have you got on your c drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 16 Apr 2006

Crap Cleaner click here will get rid of all temp files.

look in the windows folder for files staring with $ these are uninstall files for windows updates which can safely be deleted if windows is working ok after you lasted updated it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 16 Apr 2006

move the pagefile click here from C: drive to another drive to save space and increase performance

goonerjlf 22:37 16 Apr 2006

System is Windows 98SE, and the free space I have is 2.34MB

Taff™ 22:40 16 Apr 2006

Not enough room to manoevre there then! Suggest you add another HDD or back up and remove some of your files until you can get at least 10% of your HDD free.

gudgulf 22:45 16 Apr 2006

2.34MB??????

Thats effectively nothing.......if running Ccleaner does not help you need to delete some folders and/or programs from your pc......or add a second hard drive.

As a general rule of thumb Windows needs around 15% of the drive free to allow for the page file/defragmenting and other system tasks.

You are lucky you can run the system at all with so little free space.

I suggest it might be time to look into a new computer....yours is now inadequate for your usage.

De Marcus™ 22:46 16 Apr 2006

You have as Taff™ suggests, very little room to manouvre. The cheapest, i.e. free option is to uninstall all those programs you have but never use.

or

Install a dvd writer to back up all your documents to disk and delete them from the hard drive.

or

the best option IMO, install a new second hard drive and move everything to it.

Failing that, it's time to upgrade the whole pc.

goonerjlf 18:16 17 Apr 2006

thank you all for your responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone