Frontpage, Serif WebPlus or Net Objects Fusion ?

Chris69 14:58 10 Dec 2007

Folks

I'm currently using Frontpage 2002 and have been relatively happy with it.

Given it is no longer to be developed by MS I'm thinking of moving across to another web design programme.

It has to be WYSIWYG as I don't do code, but I don't want to find I end up with a programme that I feel to be a step down from FP - sideways or a (small) step up would be good !!

Programmes I'm considering are Serif Webplus 10, Net Objects Fusion 9.0 and Namo Web Editor.

Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Thanks !

Chris

Kemistri 17:13 10 Dec 2007

If you have to use software, it's probably best to go with NOF10 unless your budget will cover MS Expression or anything from Adobe.

Kemistri 17:14 10 Dec 2007

I can't really see any issue at all with the lack of support for FP'02, though, so if it really works for you....

Patr100 20:48 10 Dec 2007

It's not so much the lack of support from MS but being able to work and grow with new and developing website technology/needs and usage.

Try NOF.

Patr100 20:49 10 Dec 2007

Forgot to add I don't know abpout NAMO or Serif - try them if you can as well.

Kemistri 22:11 10 Dec 2007

Serif, certainly, is inferior in some respects to NOF, though that in turn is inferior to the other more pro-level packages.

It's a pity that you "don't do code" - not only would it provide much more flexibility, but being able to work with CSS and HTML is an important skill regardless of whether you use software or not. JS and PHP can be quite important, too. I do not know any enthusiast or professional/semi-professional who does not know how to code with at least the basics of CSS and HTML.

Pauper 14:53 11 Dec 2007

Are you considering NOF 9 because it's free?

click here

Activation code from:

click here

;-)

Forum Editor 19:32 11 Dec 2007

and its big advantage is that it isn't too difficult to get to grips with - you can produce a pretty decent site within a fairly short time of starting.

To be honest, there's a good deal of nonsense talked about web design software, and unless you intend to get very serious indeed, and develop complex e-commerce, or data-driven sites, you'll find that programs like NOF are all you're ever likely to need.

Fewer professional web designers spend much time hand-coding nowadays, it's rarely necessary because modern software is so powerful, and so versatile. That isn't to say that a knowledge of coding is a bad thing - it often comes in handy - but it's not at all necessary these days.

Have a go with NOF and see what you think of it - you can take advantage of the free trial, and if you don't get along with it you've lost nothing but a bit of time.

Chris69 19:40 11 Dec 2007

Folks

Thanks for the suggestions so far, particularly the summary from Forum Editor. Could I just also ask :

1. Kemistri (or anyone else) : in what respects is Serif WebPlus "inferior in some respects to NOF" ?

2. Anyone : I've read in reviews that NOF is poor with its templates e.g. not very professional, garish, limited numbers of them. Any views on this (I do like to start with a template to get going, with view to modifying as I progress).

Chris

Kemistri 22:15 11 Dec 2007

[1] Try it out for yourself and make your own assessment. My biggest criticisms of it would be: the complete absence of code editing, which almost all other software provides in order to allow you to make small tweaks, correct errors, and so on; the fact that its output is neither standards compliant nor fully accessible - a killer for an accessibility evangelist like me! - and its interface lacks the polish of NOF et al.

[2] True of the previous versions, for sure. I had NOF8 and it was frankly AWFUL! Never would I want to put out a commercial project - whether you're a pro, doing it for friends, or promoting your own business - using the standard templates. You have to come up with custom designs just as you would with the apps that lack templates. NOF10 will have to have made a giant leap in order to bring its templates up to standard in terms of flexibility, modernity, and professionalism. And I also hope that NetObjects has learned to avoid relying on tables. Try trial version if possible - I think there is one available.

I think that FE and I will have to agree to differ about coding knowledge - I couldn't design effectively without it and my understanding and ability made a giant leap forward when I learned how to code.

Forum Editor 23:23 12 Dec 2007

that the NOF templates are not - in general - the best available, but there are literally hundreds of them, and you will almost certainly find one that suits you. Bear in mind that the templates are almost infinitely customisable, so it's not really a worry.

The mistake that many people make when assessing NOF is to compare it to applications like DreamWeaver. NOF isn't intended to compete on that level - it's aimed at a section of the market that wants to be able to do quite a lot more than simply publish a basic website, but it doesn't pretend to be a professional designer's tool. That market sector is an extremely lucrative one, and frankly NOF 10 has it sewn up - there's really nothing that comes close to it in terms of power and versatility.

Don't get too hung up on the template thing - if you're not keen on any of the built in templates you'll find thousands of them available on the web for no more than a few pounds each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?