Frontpage help with layout

hargranules 19:53 14 Sep 2006

Hi i am trying to create a web page where i have two navigation boxes on left hand side and one tall box of text in middle with main writing on. I am using a table layout that has one column either side of a larger column in middle but when i preview in web browser there is more space on right each time. How do i set it so that middle column always stays in middle of page no matter what size browser.

I also have bits of text i want to underline i am adding horizontal lines to do this but again these don't always appear in right place when i preview

Any help would be much appreciated

ade.h 20:35 14 Sep 2006

I don't use tables any more, for various good reasons. But here's the basics:

Your table width must be set to 100%. Specify a width for the content column. Don't specify a width for the flexible columns. Use non-breaking spaces in the flexible columns to prevent them from collapsing. If your content column has some complex cell sizes, you may need to nest one or more tables within it to achieve your desired formatting.

Tables aren't pretty in terms of code, they're not easy to code or modify later, they provide poor accessibility and some of the code that you have to use to achieve certain layouts is deprecated in modern HTML standards, so they often fail to validate.

Forum Editor 23:53 14 Sep 2006

that you click here and consider using CSS absolute positioning.

It's easier than you might think, and will work very well.

ade.h 10:55 15 Sep 2006

Go here: click here. Buy "HTML Utopia" and "The CSS Anthology". Find out how brilliant CSS is. While you're at it, learn XHTML and you mght never use WYSIWYG ever again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017