Frontpage 2003 questions

STEVE71163 19:04 30 Aug 2003

I wondered if anyone knows how much fp 2003 is going to be as i see the American site has their prices ? Also i have read that fp2003 does not need server extensions. Is this true?

Taran 00:17 31 Aug 2003

Yes, it is true up to a point.

If you combine FrontPage 2003 with Windows SharePoint Services or SharePoint Team Services, you don't need the extensions installed.

Having said that, there are a ocuple of things to keep in mind.

1. Finding a host that actually offers these features is something of a difficulty at the moment, compared to the widespread availibility of FrontPage server extensions. I'm not saying that nobody is offering these options, but it isn't very widely available yet, although that will change in pretty short order.

2. Some of the most useful FrontPage features that rely on working server extensions being installed do not work under SharePoint Services.

Most notably (in my opinion) are the lack of support for Database Results and Save Results to Database which Sharepoint Team Services does support but Sharepoint Services does not.

So what you gain on the one hand, you lose on the other.

click here for an overview of what you can and cannot do with the various FrontPage 2003 options.

It's a bit of a two edged sword at the moment, but it does alolow for a varierty of possible configurations and not everyone uses the server extension features, although I always think it's worth its weight in gold purely for the form handler if nothing else.

It all falls down to what you intend to do and how you intend to do it.

Hope this helps.

regards

Taran

Taran 00:20 31 Aug 2003

I forgot to spellcheck, so my apologies for the spectacular errors...

Forum Editor 00:32 31 Aug 2003

I'm afraid.

With regard to not needing server extensions - well yes, it's true, but...... Read what Microsoft has to say on the matter:-

"Microsoft has continued to make investments in FrontPage 2003 to enhance the overall customer experience, based on customer feedback and the changing role of server extensions in our overall product offerings. As we examined our options, it became clear that the best solution was to create a new and radically more powerful server story?Windows SharePoint? Services?and eliminate the need for server extensions beginning with FrontPage 2003. Today, the optimal combination for FrontPage is to use FrontPage 2003 in combination with Windows SharePoint Services. This allows you to access the entire set of new functionality in FrontPage 2003, along with improvement to the way you did things in FrontPage 2002 and other previous versions of FrontPage."

FP 2003 sites will run quite happily on a server with FP 2002 extensions installed - you just won't be able to use all the data handling funcionality.

STEVE71163 12:01 31 Aug 2003

Many Thanks for replys. I guess i will have to keep my eye open for prices as they come out.

SheffieldSpy 22:14 31 Aug 2003

Didn't Amazon.co.uk give a release date and pricing page on their site. However I hear it is their own estimates, as the actual Office 2003 programs are scheduled for release 3 days before the Amazon date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?