Frontpage 2002 advice needed Please

STEVE71163 17:26 07 Jul 2003

I have started to put together a web site for my cleaning business and made some alterations today but on my friends pc it is working fine but on mine it seems the links etc are not right. The site is click here . Can you see if the links are working ok please?

Many Thanks!

STEVE71163 18:38 07 Jul 2003

Something else i am noticing is that if i use preview in browser everything is working fine but i just tried to re publish the web and it has gone completely wrong on the server but still ok in frontpage??

User-312386 19:12 07 Jul 2003

I would suggest for the links for for "links", that you make those pages open in another browser

To do that in front page, right click the link, select "Hyperlink", then "Target Frame", then select "new window"

This will then open the Links in a new window, so the people who are viewing your site do not leave it

madboy33

p.s. are you sure you typed the correct password when trying to upload your website?

STEVE71163 20:04 07 Jul 2003

Thanks for replying. Yes i have got the right password! All that is now wrong is the wording in the buttons but if i go into navigation they are alright and also they show ok if you preview in browser???

Taran 20:55 07 Jul 2003

Try deleting your internet browser history then refresh the FrontPage web view. If all is well with the FrontPage site, re-publish it to the server and make certain you select the option to publish all pages, not just the ones you have changed. That should overwrite everything server-side.

You could also make certain that your naming conventions are correct. FrontPage defaults to .htm but you can manually rename or import .html files. Obviously you can use one or the other or both in your web, but if you mix the file extensions you can easily get yourself lost when targeting your hyperlinks to the correct file.

Finally, when you view your changes online in Internet Explorer, make sure you refresh the page view often, just to make certain all is well.

powerless 21:12 07 Jul 2003

I thought .htm and .html were the same thing?

Also what would you gain from changing to .html over the default .htm

Also can you simply change the file extension by renaming the page to page.html, from page.htm? The pages will still be same?

STEVE71163 21:49 07 Jul 2003

Thanks Taran
I needed to put publish all pages as you said above. :0)

Forum Editor 00:43 08 Jul 2003

.htm and .html are the same thing, and all browsers will recognise both file extensions. It used to be thought that the .htm extension denoted a file created in DOS or in Windows 3.1 as both systems require 3 letter file extensions, but it's not so.

Use whichever suits you - your host server won't mind - but stick to one or the other, for the reasongiven by Taran.

STEVE71163 11:34 08 Jul 2003

I dont know what has happened today because i can not even access the site?? :0(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017