Frontier First Encounters on Win XP

Kevin-287130 21:46 08 Feb 2005

I recently bought an old copy of Frontier First Encounters but I can't get it to run on Windows XP. I tried making a bootable floppy but that won't allow me access to C drive. I've tried running it in a DOS prompt window but it say DPMI32 module cannot be run on win32. Any one got any ideas. This was one of my all time favourite games and I like to play it again. (sad git)

HXP 21:53 08 Feb 2005

find the .exe right click & try compatability mode with win 95.

If that does not work try reducing the screen res and colour bit depth

Worth a try

HXP

ACOLYTE 22:02 08 Feb 2005

LOL, no your not sad at all i still have this game and havent played it for ages i used to hammer it hours at a time,to get the game to work in xp though may be a tad tricky but i have know it to work just not that often,

Windows 2000/XP
Follow these steps to get the game running under Windows 2000 or XP. This is not guaranteed to work, but should in most cases.

Find the file called CONFIG.NT. In Windows XP, this is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\. In Windows 2000, it is in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\.
At the bottom of this file, add a line reading: EMM = RAM
If you have the shareware version of Frontier: The shareware version of Frontier is supplied with a shortcut file which you should use to launch the game. You can recognise this shortcut in your Frontier directory from its MS-DOS icon.
If you have the non-shareware version of Frontier: Create a shortcut to FRONTIER.EXE. Right click on the shortcut you have created and click Properties. Click on the Memory tab. Set "Expanded (EMS) memory" to Auto. Click Ok and run the game using the shortcut you just created.

To get sound in Windows 2000/XP you'll need to download a utility which allows sound in DOS games to work under these operating systems like
VDM sound or somthing similar.

All this from click here

a great place to get some info i may try to get it woking as well now you reminded me how much i like the game lol.

EdFrench 22:09 08 Feb 2005

A lot of these games wont play in XP anymore.
Try DosBox click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?